Wednesday 22 June 2011

York Minster

And finally - York Minster is a splendid building, and the church by which we gauge the beauty of every other church in the world.

A lot of the exterior stonework is crumbling and being replaced. There is a stonemasons shed erected so that you can watch some of this work being carried out. The replaced work looks new, but fits in well. It must be great for the craftsmen to see their work in situ in such an awesome building. The big window here is one such repair.



It used to be free to visit the Minster, but now it costs £9 each. We didn't have time to do the tour justice, so we hung around in the doorway for a while. I can highly recommend a visit though as you can climb to the roof, and descend into the crypt too. Lots of Roman relics were found under the crypt including huge columns.


We really enjoyed our visit to York, lots to see and do. We must remember how close it is and visit again soon. The only thing hubby didn't like was the absolutely hundreds of Geordie girls - all in themed groups - starting their hen nights very early on in the day. I suppose he was looking at it through a Policemans eyes. Hundreds of very drunk young girls + a very large river with no walls = a few problems for the local constabulary later on! My fave "theme" was "Michael Jackson and the zombies from thriller"x

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

Its a great city, on my list of places to visit at some point!! x

Kathy said...

Ah, York Minster ... just perfect. Although we were very impressed with Canterbury when we went in February!
£9's a bit steep, if you're just popping in for a quick visit isn't it? We haven't actually been into Chester Cathedral for a while for the same reason. Our wonderful cathedrals in Liverpool are both free to enter!
The best way is to go in for a service, and then look around afterward.
xxx

Von said...

What is it coming to!!!! I'm still reminded of the time lightning struck the Minster after it's incumbent had declared he didn't believe in the virgin birth.

andamento said...

I've not been to York since before the kids were born, we used to visit in June for a cycling rally and camp on the racecourse.
£9 does seem rather a lot, I better visit the cathedrals near us before they catch on to the idea of charging. I also didn't realise York was big on the hen night scene, interesting!

Lisa said...

I'll get to visit one. It does look stunning.
Lisa x

topchelseagirl said...

I've never seen pictures of York minster before. It is very impressive.

Me said...

How lovely. It seems to be (although I've never been) a truly beautiful building. My parents and sister were at a wedding in York last year, and they were very taken with it. Its going on the 'to-visit' list! xxx

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Hi Diane, I thought York Minster was really impressive when visiting the city last year - the bright spring sunshine brought out the warmth of the stone. I didn't go inside, so it's been nice to see you pics of the interior. Lesley x

Anna at the Doll House said...

Hello Diane

Thank you for your wonderful pictures of York Minster . they bring back lots of good memories of trips to York.

I am really shocked though about the entrance fee. What is the world coming to? Perhaps they will bring-back the sale of relics and pardons soon.

Anna

Homes and Dreams said...

Hi,
Such lovely photos, thank you for sharing. I love York and spent many a Saturday night in my younger years there (never dressed as a zombie might I add!)

Vicky x

Poppy said...

It is now been added to my list...thank you for sharing!

Lou xxx

Poppy said...

*Has* :0/ x

harmony and rosie said...

Would definitely love to visit, perhaps on a day when the hens and stags aren't in town though!

Rowan said...

I think it's great that we still have craftsmen with the skills to repair all these wonderful old buildings. I have to say that I think £9 is a bit steep to go in the MInster though.

driftwood said...

there aren't that many hen and stag problems, it must have been a bad day for it.....
Kathy is right, it's free if you go to a service, evensong is especially lovely, and then stay to wander. Residents get free entry as well.
Did you see the window round the back where the architects made a mistake and it's wonky? it's my fave bit!