Monday 30 June 2014

The very lazy crafter

My hubby says that of late, I am like an empty hospital - I have no patients (patience - his jokes are appalling!).  I don't know where it went - perhaps he and two kids and a frustrating occupation have taken its toll!  He's not far wrong though, and I find that whilst I still like to craft, I do like to see a quick result.  So when I popped into a lovely craft shop recently, I found myself admiring a "charm" pack with HUGE squares that I knew would quickly make up a lovely bed size quilt. The main attractions for charm packs for me are that they are already perfectly cut (my cutting is sloppy!!) and they are colour matched perfectly too.  I think you are  supposed to cut theses exceptionally large squares up and make fancy shapes with them, but I was having none of that.  So I sat and sewed them all together, then sandwiched a lovely piece of cotton wadding between that and my backing fabric - and hey presto!!

 Now anyone who has bought a charm pack knows that they are ridiculously expensive - but in my defence your honour, the denim I backed it with was absolutely free of charge to me.  I've had it ages and it needed using.
 I made the backing a few centimetres wider than the quilt and folded it over so that I didn't need to bind the edges too - proper lazy!!

But I have decided that I will hand quilt it a little at a time - as and when the mood takes me.  I think this quilt will go very nicely in my tent.

11 comments:

Jacquie said...

Your quilt turned out great Diane, I love the colours and the simple design.
Yay for quick crafting.....better than a lot of unfinished projects.
Jacquie x

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

No patients? The sort of humour I understand, Diane, lol. And the quilt looks fab already, what a good idea and as you say, the denim backing was there to be used.... Lesley x

Gilly said...

That is a lovely Quilt, Diane! You are so clever - just sitting down and making that in what sounds no time at all! I love the colours, and the denim looks hard wearing for your tent!

Mac n' Janet said...

Love it! And as to patience, as the temperature goes up here my patience takes a hike. There'll be crafting until it cools off.

Amy at love made my home said...

Gorgeous!!! I hope that you enjoy the quilting aspect, and the snuggling under it while you work aspect!! xx

Curtise said...

The quilt looks fabulous, Diane! Love the fabrics, so pretty. xxx

Unknown said...

Sometimes the simplest quilts are the loveliest

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I think that quilt will go nicely anywhere. Lovely handiwork.

Lisa said...

Proper clever, not proper lazy. That's just not a word I would associate with you!
Love the red, white and blue and the denim is a perfect match.
Lisa x

Lyn said...

Excellent, at least you finish thing....I am still trying to finish the janet Bolton piece I started last summer! Love the quilt, and the colours are very patriotic! X

Lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.