Wednesday 10 December 2014

Sheffield

So the following day, we were in Sheffield.  I wanted to take a photo of "Turners View" from Meersbrook park.  We found this fabulous street art by "Faunagraphic" - on of our favourite Sheffield artists


 The walk to the top of the park where the view of Sheffield is, is very steep!
 But you are rewarded with a very good view of the city from up here.


 There is a print of the original painting  by Turner on an information board, but I remembered that they currently have the original on show in the Millenium Galleries, so after we had dropped the young man off at the railway station we went to have a look at it.  It's tiny - but very lovely.  In fact the whole exhibition "Picturing Sheffield" is excellent - so much so that we are planning a re visit.
 We were treated to a glorious sunset in town.
 This unusual building is now the students union for Sheffield Hallam University.  It was originally the ill fated museum of popular music which didn't really take off.

 And I spotted loads of these fantastic window paintings in all the trendy bars and cafes - I don't know which artist has done these but they are great.

 We hurried past the delightfully lit Lyceum....
 and on to meet friends who had obtained some cheap tickets for the Ice Hockey match for us.
A full day, doing nothing in particular, but lots to entertain us all.

9 comments:

John Going Gently said...

I used to love watching the steelers
I used to shout myself horse

Jan said...

Did you enjoy the ice hockey too.
One of my colleagues is married to a Canadian player, who is now working as a coach for one of the UK teams. I don't which team he works with. Jx

Lisa said...

Well you got around the town a bit that day. The view has changed just smidge!
Lisa x

Lisa said...

Well you got around the town a bit that day. The view has changed just smidge!
Lisa x

Amy at love made my home said...

What a great visit. That painting on the house is amazing isn't it. xx

Curtise said...

My local park! The view's great, isn't it, and I love the mural on the house on Brooklyn Road.
Crazy skies - very dramatic! xxx

Mac n' Janet said...

Love the birds and hated that building, OMG, what were they thinking.

Unknown said...

I used to teach at the school near the park and it was our favourite summer outing. Not been to see the Steelers for years, went every week when the children were small. Must re-visit, they are doing so well at the moment.

Lyn said...

all your days are full Diane!
xxx