Monday 21 June 2010

The Stumpery

I finished work at 3pm, and hubby (who was on a day off) had walked up to meet me. We decided not to go straight home, but to detour to the gardens at Wentworth Castle and use our annual pass. One area of the garden that we have never visited is the Stumpery, so that is where we headed. However we had to pass the beautiful fagrant roses in the Union Jack garden - I'd love to know what these are and I wish we had scratch n sniff blogging so that you too could smell them.


So this is what a Stumpery is, and an easy idea to translate to a smaller garden too I think, but perhaps with just one stump.


I felt as if I was in a fairy glen - it is a lovely part of the garden.















On our way back, we passed the old church which sits in the middle of the estate - it is really well preserved.


Which is more than can be said for the old conservetory. However the trust have secured some funding for this, and they are fundraising like mad to raise the rest. It is a huge place and will look stunning when it is finally restored.

It was a great walk. and made me feel as if my day wasn't all work. I love long light summer days.


7 comments:

Michela said...

What an amazing nature's artwork! I love long light summer days too..pity that it's raining since last Saturday..grr!
Have a great week xxxx

Michela said...

P.S.I had to visit your friend's Carolyn blog for seeing a proper picture of you..how lovely!

Kathy said...

That looks like a nice place for an evening stroll - I love looking at the shapes made by tree roots.
Love Kathy xxx

Jen Walshaw said...

I love the stumps they are just so amazing. I bet the glass house will look fab when it is done too

menopausalmusing said...

Love the stumps and thank goodness the conservatory has got funding to be repaired. :O)))

Lisa said...

Those roots are a work of art int heir own right!
Lisa x

The Girl said...

Stumpery has become my new favourite word, I'm going to try and use it at least twice a day from now on!