Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Fast Food

I am having to work until 5.30pm every day this week due to my colleague being on holiday (I usually finish at 3pm - a much more refined finish time that allows me to have a life too!!). Its such a beautiful evening, and I didnt want to be slaving over a hot stove, so I reached for one of my fridge stand by's - Hallumi Cheese. Hallumi Cheese tastes like rubber - until you slice it, coat it in seasoned flour and fry it quickly in a little olive oil until it has a crust on it. Delicious! The whole thing took less than 10 minutes to prepare and that included picking the lettuce from the garden and make a vinegrette dressing. It would have taken longer to queue in Macdonalds!!

Gilly - in answer to your question about the bees, it would seem that all the bees in the UK can now be found in South Yorkshire! Both my mum and I were only commenting on Friday evening about the increased number of bees we have in the garden.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Down here in Sussex the university have recently appointed a professor of bees (or rather Apiculture). Apparently he's the only one in England! Perhaps he'll be heading your way for some research.

Lydia said...

Yum! I'm coming to your house for tea - I'll bring the pear cider....

I hope you don't mind, but I picked up a Pete McKee bag for you today - been in Sheffield at the Cavendish Centre, & he has donated a design to help raise funds... Saw it & thought of you.....

Could you email me?

Love Lydia xx

Lisa said...

I love cheese, that's one food stuff I'm not too picky about.
All looks very tasty and v healthy.
Lisa x

Summer by the sea said...

Your tea looks delicious and very healthy, I definitely think you've exceeded your 5 a day today! - Natalie x

summerfete said...

Mmm looks yum!

We are off to Cornwall again in the van, for a week on Sunday!!!! No st Ives this time, you can have too much of a good thing! We shall be cycling the camel trail.
Clare x

Michela said...

Hi Diane!
It looks so inviting!
Did you read my comment about freebies?
The postman is ready to leave for England...
Have a great day!

Gilly said...

Good quick supper!

Well, send some of those bees back!!!

Caroline said...

Diane,

That looks completely delicious! I have never quite seen eye to eye with halloumi cheese, but you inspired me to try again.

Can you send me some of your bees?

JuliaB said...

I love Halloumi too! Never tried it tossed in flour so must do that soon! x

lesley said...

Hello Diane,
Our son introduced us to Halloumi cheese at his house last year, I will have to try it in flour...& I'll pass this on to him :0) I'm going to pass your blog on to our Oz cousins too, they've been staying with us this week...& are serious foodies!

Lazylol said...

Ooo I haven't had any halloumi for ages - will have to get some and try cooking it your way. It looks totally yummy!

Rowan said...

That looks just delicious, perfect for a summer day. I have to agree about the bees, my garden is full of them too - all shapes and sizes. They seem especially keen on the sage and the goats beard, you can here a constant hum as you walk by. A lovely summery sound.