Tuesday 6 July 2010

Bradfield and Dam Flask

With the dancing queen whisked away for the day, the young man at school, and hubby and I on a days holiday from work, we decided to have a jaunt to somewhere very pretty and again, on our doorstep. The gorgeous little village of Bradfield is 7 miles from the centre of Sheffield and is a popular spot at weekends.

Its equally as pretty as villages in North Yorkshire or the Cotswolds, but only seems to attract locals.

The village is split into High Bradfield and Lower Bradfield - joined by a very steep hill. The church at the top of the hill has a lovely pub at the side of it. There has been an ice cream van by the village green as long as I can remember.
One of the main attractions for weekend visitors in summer, is the stream that you can paddle in. Its very low at the moment.

We walked to the start of our main walk which was around Dam Flask. The Dam is one of a series in this valley and is owned by Yorkshire Water. In 2002, Yorkshire Water built a footpath all way around it so that you can now do a full circular walk.



We came across this stone that was carved with all the activities that happen on the lake. Rowing, Yachting and Fishing.

No wonder Sheffield is called Englands greenest city - its unbelievable to think that you are only a very short bus journey away the centre of the city.

I hadn't been to Bradfield for years, so it was lovely to rediscover somewhere so wonderful on my doorstep.

17 comments:

Ma Larkin said...

its beautiful. i love to see church spires or towers peeking out of trees. it was one of the things i pined for when we lived in new zealand for a while.

Unknown said...

Oh what a pretty little place.

I love stumbling across little carvings like that - some folks is v.clever.

Jill x

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

The countryside is just beautiful, and what a charming little town to visit! If I could, I'd pack my bags and fly across the ocean to visit it myself. Someday, maybe!

Gilly said...

Looks a lovely spot! All reservoirs are low this summer. Hosepipe bans on now, too.

We need rain! (But mainly at night, please!)

Julia said...

OOH Diane, what a lovely bunch of photos!! I only live 10 minutes from there and we love to walk round the Flask! It really is a gorgeous part of the city...like you said though, its almost impossible to believe it is part of the city isnt it!

Love Julia x x x

The Girl said...

More gorgeous pictures, you have quite the eye for a good photo.

(Yeah I know I've turned into a bit of a crochet and cat lady at the moment and a night out with the killer heels is most definitely needed but at the moment I'm living off £20 a week which doesn't really finance a night out!)

Just Original said...

You have found us a stream to paddle in close to home, some where little dear can float her boat that she purchased with her pocket money recently.

Noticed your post a couple of weeks ago on the Elderflower champagne, I have to bottle mine tonight, hoping it tastes as good as yours looked.

Vanessa x

Rosie said...

Looks like a super walk, Diane - you do have some wonderful places close by to visit and enjoy. Bradfield looks a lovely village - another on my list of things to see and do:)

harmony and rosie said...

Such a pretty little place, in fact you seem to have lots of interesting and lovely places to visit within only a few miles of Sheffield.

I hope you're enjoying this warm weather and Mr Amphibian is still in residence!! x

lovethosecupcakes said...

Reading your blog makes me realise I need to get out more.

A garden just outside Venice said...

You didn't waste your day off I see! Such a lovely and quiet place!
xxxx

Mahek said...

thanks for your sweet comment...
These pictures are great!!!

Lisa said...

What a perfect place for a paddle!
Lisa x

BadPenny said...

I love these beautiful places you take us to Diane

Purrfect Haven said...

well clearly this beautiful is the place to be seen. How lovely. Helen x

Young at Heart said...

i miss my trips to Yorkshire particularly, to Staithes.... in my big fat break up he got the north!!

periwinkle said...

Am just perusing through your older posts and loved this one as my maiden name was Bradfield :-)