Saturday 22 October 2011

Park Life

One of our favourite city walks is through Endcliffe Park in Sheffield. You start out in the city and end up in the Peak District - if you walk far enough. Sheffield is famous for being a very green city and this place is very special and well used by the locals.

We spotted these yellow holly berries,
side by side with plenty of red ones - another harsh winter me thinks.
Before our walk, we partook in a few minutes in the outdoor gym. I think this is a brilliant idea. I wouldn't mind a few of these in my garden.

The park and woodlands are really picturesque now, but back in time, this was the area in Sheffield where the steel forges started. The Shepherd Wheel is being restored, and this weekend the woods were full of masters students from Sheffield Uni re creating some of the sights, sounds and skills from the steel making, forging and grinding industry.


I loved it. You can't beat a real fire in the middle of the woods on a crisp day. And all the kids love this kind of thing. Two little boys had me in hysterics trying to pump the massive bellows.

I think its great that people still do this kind of thing. Some of the workers explained the chemistry and science of what was happening, and other forged products.

Brilliant stuff.
And then it was on with the walk.


Seeing what nature has forged and placed along the paths for us to see.

A very favourite place.

15 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Gorgeous photos, thanks for sharing! :o)

**Anne** said...

This is a wonderful post and I love the outdoor gym and huge bellows.
Thanks for sharing,
Anne xx

Anna at the Doll House said...

It all looks lovely and the weather looks just perfect for walking.

Anna

greenthumb said...

I think it's great those skills are still around today, thanks for showing us your favorite place.

Rowan said...

Endcliffe Park is a great place though it's years since I've been in there, when I was a Cub leader we used do the Hucklow Walk and it always started there. I wish I'd seen the Shepherd Wheel activities though I was too busy to go even if I'd known it was on. I might ferry B Baggins down there and do a walk up to Shepherd Wheel with him though.

Lyn said...

another lovely walk Diane, have you noticed there is still lots of leaves on the trees?
you always find intersesting things on your trips out.
xxx

diane b said...

Thank you for the magical walk and a history lesson on the way. It sure is a great idea.

Rosie said...

Looks like a lovely walk, Diane - great photos:)

Jo said...

What a lovely walk, and the outdoor gym is a great idea.

Gilly said...

That is a great walk - and lovely photographs. The Forging project looks so interesting, I think its great that these things are being done to show us all how it started, and what effort and skill went into making a simple knife blade.

HippieGirl said...

Those photos are fabulous. You make me want to visit England that much more, I'm such a nature nut!!

And something else cool-that movie The Full Monty was filmed in Sheffield, love love love love love that movie!! :D

A garden just outside Venice said...

Ah..England..dreaming of being still there :-(
Hi Diane, I'm trying to catch up with everyone after my long break, hope you're well!
xxx

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

What a lovely interesting walk and your last picture with the sun coming through the trees is stunning.

Lisa said...

I was wondering how you are and thought I would judt check if you had posted and saw this one from 4 days ago, not sure how I missed that! Looks like the charcoal event was very interesting, makes me feel very autumnal looking at all those photos. We've had a quiet and generally wet half term. T is full of a cold and tired and it's been tipping it down all day here! Will get out tomorrow, I'm determined!
Lisa xx

Young at Heart said...

how utterly fabulous......feel inspired to go find some outdoors!!