Wednesday 9 January 2013

Elsecar's Newcomen Engine

We have been staying very local for our walks lately - partly to do with the lack of daylight hours, which are now slowly lengthening albeit by a minute or so each day!
On Saturday, we walked along the canal at Elsecar.  I noticed in local news  last year that funding has been found to restore the old Newcomen Engine that used to pump water out of the coal mine here.  It is very special as it is the only one left that remains in its original location.  It will be great if they get it running again.



 The Heritage Centre in Elsecar is a bit hit and miss, but does benefit from a host of fantastic volunteers who keep the old steam railway up and running.  I think they will love getting their hands on this.

 We really enjoyed our walk.  I can remember Elsecar when the colliery was in full swing.  It often makes me feel old when I look and see how much has changed locally in my life time.
 Whilst on our walk, I heard an almighty din.  Looking up, I noticed hundreds of geese in flight.
 Trying to photograph them reminded me that I have promised to buy myself a bit better camera once the expense of Christmas has passed!

9 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

I think it is so important that we try to keep our industrial heritage alive here in the UK. What an amazing amount of geese!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Curtise said...

I am ashamed to say I have never been to Elsecar... Perhaps this should be he year I rectify this situation!
Nothing like change to make you feel your age, I have been in Sheffield for over 30 years now, where did THAT time go?!
Fabulous geese! xxxx

Elizabethd said...

I am always glad when I read about funding being given to repair our heritage. Too many buildings are simply lost.
Your geese photo reminded me of the Cranes we used to see in France.

Jo said...

Those geese are so noisy when they're in flight, aren't they? We get them flying over our house and they often wake us up. Your post has reminded me to look on the Elsecar website to see what events they have coming up, we enjoyed visitng the craft fair last year and said that we must make a return trip.

Young at Heart said...

wow the geese look amazing.......walking from the kitchen to the sittingroom is about all I can manage right now although yoga started again this morning so am feeling super virtuous and bendy today...time for a stroll to the kitchen for more coffee and christmas shortbread!!x

Rosie said...

I love the sounds of skeins of geese flying overhead - it's such a special sound and reminds me of when we lived on the fens. The mention of Newcomen's Engine reminds me of school and learning about the Industrial Revolution, glad to hear that funding has been found to restore it:)

Jan said...

I think its lovely to keep track of local industrial traditions. Jx

A garden just outside Venice said...

Catching up with one of my favourite bloggy buddies at 5am ...I should be grateful to my insomnia, since days do not have enough hours lately!
I hope you're doing well and have had some good news for your health in the meanwhile.
xxxxxxx

Mister D said...

Think I saw the same geese Diane last Saturday about 1pm flying over Swinton towards Barnsley hundreds of them by the time my camera had locked on though they were just little specks.