Saturday 9 April 2011

Such a perfect day

The DJ on radio Sheffield who wakes me up every morning had the great idea this morning of playing tunes that say "Summer" or "Sunshine" as it was the most glorious day. Hubby has the weekend off - Hurray!! (although they did try unsuccessfully to get him to work). We had a walk planned. We decided to do the Middleton-by-Youlgreave walk. This walk incorporates my most favourite walk of all, but starts in the village of Middleton-by-Youlgreave where I had never been before - and where I really need to live!!!
It is the most peaceful, perfect and out of the way place ever.
Several cottages caught my eye,
I got a bit excited as I had bought a Euro Lottery ticket the night before, and hadn't checked the numbers, and as soon as I got out of the car, I got plopped on by a crow (sign of good luck according to my mum). I thought this could be destiny!

The village has a couple of old wells.

Whilst the village is a proper English village, part of it reminded me very much of France

We found this unusual war memorial.
and even more unusual sculptures on the path down to the river.
I loved the old sheep wash on the river.
The first part of the walk took us down to walk by the side of the river Bradford (not anywhere near the city of Bradford).
The river is beautiful and very peaceful - miles away from road noise etc

Then it was over the bridge and on to Youlgreave. I'll show you this leg tomorrow.


Hope you enjoyed the sunshine too today.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Another beautiful walk, thank you x

Sue Hayton said...

Should be in Ashford in the Water next weekend - hope the weather continues!!! Hurrah

Kathy said...

What a glorious day for a walk like that ... your photos are wonderful! The little village does look a bit 'francais' doesn't it!
xxx

Janet said...

I can see why you want to live there-it is beautiful.Thank you for the tour -I enjoyed that x

Lyn said...

I was in doors for most of it! I love going for cyber walks with you Diane, this one looks right up my street.....or should I say lane?!
love
Lyn
xxx

Louise said...

I love middleton by youlgreave too, the area you walked is so lovely!

I love to read about all the Peak District air crashes, even though they are sad stories! There are lots of wreck sites and one day I plan to do some exploring!

Rowan said...

I haven't been to Middleton-by- Youlgreave but having seen your photos I shall be doing something about that soon. That sheepwash bridge is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Middleton by Youlgrave is indeed beautiful. We are lucky to live in Derbyshire. So many lovely villages. Your photos have inspired me to visit again. Thank you.

Lisa said...

What a perfect looking village.That last photo is amazing.It doesn't looklike there was another sould around!
Lisa x

Rosie said...

I don't think I've ever been to Middleton-by-Youlgrave although I've seen it many times on signposts as we have passed by - next time we must stop and look - it does look a bit french doesn't it? So sad all those young men being lost - someone's sons and sweethearts. I know there were many planes came down over the peak district during WW2. Looks as if you had wonderful weather for your walk! I'm looking forward to the next instalement:)

diane b said...

What a glorious walk and village. I hope you can move there one day. It looks like out of a picture book on Beautiful England.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

A storybook walk, Diane. I'll say again how much I'm enjoying your photos and descriptions. How fortunate you are to be able to traverse such beautiful walkways; and how lucky we are that you blog about them.

Jo said...

I bet your hubby is glad he stood his ground and refused to work, what a gorgeous weekend it's been. That village looks very pretty, so peaceful, and what a lovely walk.

Selfsewn said...

aah summer breeze makes me feel fine!!

Hasnt it been a super weekend!

xx