Sunday 10 April 2011

Youlgreave to Over Haddon

From the banks of the river Bradford, we climbed the hill to Youlgreave - somewhere else that I could so easily live. I immediately coveted one of these.......... ..and one of these. A conservatory and "gin" platform with a view to die for!
To our delight, the village was hosting an Easter Fayre in the community centre. I chatted for ages to this lovely lady who was spinning wool that she had watched the farmer sheer from the sheep. She knitted lovely items and was delighted when I bought a woolly hat - which she had labelled as being from Swaledale and Llyen sheep. Now you don't get that on the high street.
The young man was delighted to find a lady who made the worlds best chocolate brownies too!


The old co-op in Youlgreave is a great building and is now a Youth Hostel. I think, even though I am 51 years old, I may try Youth Hosteling.
The village has some great old houses.
This is our favourite - Hubby and I would live in here...
whilst the kids would live in here - in the grounds. The young man said it would just need a chute for me to send the food down to it!!
We left Youlgreave and walked down one of its green lanes - and over the fields. The whole area has sites of special scientific interest and the flora along the way is always amazing.





You can't tell from my photos just how "up hill, down dale" this walk is. The village of Over Haddon in the distance - and the white building on the right in particular - in the distance is our next destination .
We pass through the gorgeous farmyard of one of the farms on the Haddon Estate (and yes Lisa - I thought of you and your bargainous tea pot!)
Most old estates in my area use "Estate Green" for their paintwork, but I do love the "Estate Grey" of the Haddon Estate.


We eventually land in Lathkill Dale - where the river Lathkill flows through. On a beautiful sunny day, this place is like heaven.

The walk doesn't take you up to the village of Over Haddon - but we know its there, and we know what awaits us if we make the effort and climb the very steep hill up to the top. And that is where I will take you next.

15 comments:

Diane said...

I can just visualise the meals sailing down through a chute he he. Lovely photos, thanks for the trip. Diane

Rosie said...

I like Youlgreave and love that old Co-op building - I didn't know it was a YHA - Paul has a life membership to YHA though we haven't stayed in one for years! Lol at the food chute idea:)

Lisa said...

I love the young man's suggestion about the chute! Very practical! I might have to move in with you if you move there. Love the old shepherds hut. Who wouldn't want to stay in that old co-op.
Just think when the winter comes round again and you're wearing your hat it'll take you back to this sunny walk, lovely!
Lisa x

Kathy said...

Lovely walk part two! We stayed in a YHA once ... ONCE .... you could snoring from the room next door and someone pinched our food from the communal fridge! Not good!!!
I'm hoping to do some nice walking down in Somerset next week!
xxx

Louise said...

Lovely walk :)

Last time we were in Lathkill Dale the river was completely dry. Mind you, everywhere is looking a bit low at the moment too!

John Going Gently said...

in all honesty I would kill your mother and my mother for that manor house!!!

**Anne** said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful things.
Anne xx

Dianne said...

Thanks for taking us on this delightful walk - I feel quite exhausted and must sit a while and enjoy some of those -best in the world- chocolate brownies - Yum!!

Gilly said...

Great photos Diane - and I do know how up and down it is! Which is one reason we can't do it any longer :(

And I see you found a bluebell! We looked for them round her, at a known bluebell wood, on our way to the Forest, but not a sign! Lots of leaves though, They won't be much longer!

Jo said...

Another lovely village with some more gorgeous buildings. Nice to see that you found a bluebell, I haven't found any yet this year.

Jennyff said...

Lovely trip, thanks for taking us. Mr FF and I are also life members of the Youth Hostel, though when we used them most it was separate dorms and duties to perform before you could leave. Things have improved a lot so you should give it a go.

Lx @ Twelve said...

Lovely pictures of a lovey day Mrs!

Where is the one of you modeling you hat?!

My best freind was from Youlgrave, so a few wild teenage stories not fo rblogland, but if we ever meet...

I like the Estate Grey - Shall tell G, my front door is estate grey next time he bids to piant it red!

Need the balcony (& a romeo!), and the little wooden hut on wheels, yes I really neeeeed that.....

Lx

Jackie, Erik, Jake, Drew said...

As always its been fun reading your weekend adventure and I am already waiting for your next blog to see what Over Haddon looks like. The countryside and old villages truly are beautiful, especially when the sun shines too. xx

potterjotter said...

We've walked those walks many times and it is quite magical - your photos do actually do it justice and it looks lovely in the sunshine.

Poppy said...

Thank you for taking me along, I enjoyed every minute of that walk.

Lou xxx