Friday 16 March 2012

Hayfield

On our way home from New Mills last Saturday, we called in at Hayfield for a wander around.

Hayfield is a very pretty village in the foothills of Kinder Scout in Derbyshire - just over the hill from Castleton. It has some wonderful little cottages - but the prices are very high. The river Sett runs through it.


The centre of Hayfield is fairly traffic free as a by-pass was built to take traffic away from the narrow little streets, but sadly this cuts right through the village - splitting it in two.
The old Co-op is a stunning building with wonderful stone carvings over the door.
After all the walking, traipsing and photography, I decided that we needed a fuel stop. Although there are the odd clues from the exterior of the Packhorse Inn, we were not prepared for the very funky and contemporary interior of this fab pub! I loved it. The sofa on the right had my name on it!

They do all sorts of food from a full blown menu, bar meals, light snacks - down to what we thought was going to be a simple Scones and Jam. As you can see it was a bit spectacular. The jam (served in a shot glass - neat idea) seemed to have been made from fresh fruit, crushed and warmed. The scone was enormous and also warm. One would have been enough to share!
After we were fed and watered, we made our way home - the scenic way. Actually, which ever way we made our way home would have been the scenic way as this is slap bang in the middle of the Pennine hills which are truly spectacular.

21 comments:

Aunt Jane's Attic said...

More lovely piccs, that scone and jam and cream looks absolutely delicious and what a way to serve it! Julie xxx

Little Blue Mouse said...

I love that carving over the Co-op door!
The Packhorse Inn looks very nice indeed, especially the scone and jam.

Jackie said...

The village looks gorgeous and the cream tea incredible. I don't remember ever going there though I do remember going up Kinder Scout with my parents from quite a young age - the start of my love of hill-walking. I miss it! x

diane b said...

How wonderful to be able to walk through such beautiful scenery and quaint villages. The watering hole looked good too.

Jo said...

What a picturesque village, but such a shame about the by-pass. That scone looks good enough to eat.

Kathy said...

I know Castleton, but I've never heard of Hayfield. There are so many pretty villages around there! That scone and jam has my name on, never mind the sofa!
xxx

Patricia said...

Love the photos and what a pretty village. The scone certainly looks tempting.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Whether served on old fashioned china or not, well..scones look always yummy! Especially at 5 pm when my tummy starts thinking of food :)
Have a good weekend
xxxxx

Rosie said...

I like Hayfield, we spent some time there as a few of Paul's ancestors come from there. People were so friendly, we were photographing some relevant grave stones and someone stopped to asked if we wanted to look inside the church - they took us across the road to the keyholder who came back with us and opened the church and gave us a guided tour. A lot of his ancestors come from Castleton, Edale, Eyam and Stoney Middleton as well as Hayfield:)

Jan said...

That's a seriously gorgeous cream tea! Jx

Blueberry Heart said...

now THATS a scone!!

BH x

Lyn said...

oh wow what a lovely village and that scone.....!!!
xxx

Diane said...

You have a great eye for seeing things of interest which I am sure I would completely miss! t'other Diane

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

I love Derbyshire villages - so characterful, rather than chocolate-box pretty. Lovely pictures as usual. xC

Victoria said...

What a pretty place. I'd love to live somewhere quaint like that one day with Jonathan and the Pugs.

You are so helpful visiting these places and giving us ideas! :)

x

BadPenny said...

What a very pretty village. I love the houses on the river but wonder if they get flooded.
Wow That really was a special cream tea - beautifully presented !

Carol said...

Many years ago we got our selves lost in the mist near the top of Kinder Scout. We'd just found a rock to nestle under for the night when out of the mist loomed a group of students who knew where they were going!
Lovely stone buildings and a beautiful area, no wonder the village is expensive.
Carol xx

Lisa said...

What an attractive little village you stopped in. Now that is the way to serve scone and jam!
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

Nice blog and photos. Thanks for your visit to mine.

I spent a number of happy years living in Sheffield and have managed to visit the city and the area a few times lately - huge changes from my day but a vibrant city. I also remember the walks and the lovely villages and small towns.

Anyway, I have added you to my blogroll.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Although NZ has spectacular scenery, the little river on top of Kinder Scout still feels like the most ethereal places in the Universe to me. Thanks for the Hayfield visit: have never been but one of the most influential women in my life - Cynthia Hawkins - came from there. She introduced me to my husband, but before that my parents befriended her family when they immigrated to NZ and Hayfield assumed a mythical quality. I suspect she would notice quite a few changes if she were still alive! Love the fresh fruit jam.

saraeden said...

It seems so strange seeing Hayfield on someones blog, it is just a few miles away from us! To us it is just Hayfield, i suppose you forget what gorgeous places there are when you live in the middle of them.

Sara x