Thursday 29 March 2012

Morecombe Bay

Well done! We have indeed spent a lovely few days at Lake Windermere in Cumbria. On our way up, we stopped off at the Midland Hotel in Morecombe - somewhere I've wanted to visit since its refurbishment by Urban Splash (the company that are doing up the flats in Sheffield)


I wasn't disappointed - the hotel is a fabulous art deco building and looked magnificent against the backdrop of so much blue!
Inside, the architecture makes you feel very much like you are on a ship.

After a swift cuppa, we strolled along the pier outside which overlooks Morecombe Bay.


We stood and watched the tide race in before we resumed our journey.


So much blue!

10 comments:

Jo said...

You certainly picked the right time to take your break with this gorgeous weather we're having. Who would believe it's March with those blue skies? I've only been to Morecombe once and that was when I was very little, I can't remember much about it.

Rosie said...

What a beautiful blue sky! The last time we visited Morecambe the hotel was closed and looked quite abandoned, I'd love to see it now! Your photos are fab - it does look like an ocean liner:)

topchelseagirl said...

I'm looking forward to going there Diane. Might even partake of a cream tea. I wouldn't want to stay there though as apparently the bedrooms are a major disappointment - all modern and nothing deco about them, only the public areas have been refurbished in style. Such a shame, but I'm sure there will be enough to keep me happy.

Jan said...

The hotel is beautiful. I love your photos. I'm going north later in the summer and I'm definitely going to call in. Jx

Lyn said...

as you know Diane, the Midland is one of my favourite places, so glad you loved it too!
xxx

greenthumb said...

What a lovely place to visit, looks great.

Lisa said...

Just look at that blue! So beautiful. That's one place I would love to visit there too.
Lisa x

SAS said...

Very nice. It looks spacious, light and airy. Too bad about the rooms.

The last photo reminds me of a 'widow's walk' on houses in New England.

Pleased you had an enjoyable time.

Rowan said...

I'd love to go inside at some point, I've seen it from the outside but it was still being restored then, I think it re-opened a few weeks later.

ChrisJ said...

Love those rocks and cormorants. Beautifully made.