Sunday 11 March 2012

New Mills - part 2

If you've ever been to New Mills (and I know some of you have), you'll have guessed that the next bit of my walk was the Millennium Walkway - over the river Goyt. It is the most amazing and spectacular of bridges, and my heart sunk a bit when I first saw it - but I plucked up courage and strode across.

The bridge clings to the huge wall where the railway runs along the top, and affords views into the old mill on the river. I love a walk that incorporates nature and industrial history, and this walk certainly fits the bill.

My heart sunk further when I read the plaque at the end of the walkway dedicated to Stan Brewster. I remember hearing about him when the awful bombings took place, but I hadn't realised that he had been instrumental in the building of this inspired structure. It was a very sobering moment.
We loved reading about the old mills. They are still very spectacular, even in decay. I asked at the visitor centre if they had any plans for using the mills. The lady informed me that the gentleman who now owns them, rents out the spaces inside for weddings and parties etc. I'd love a look in. The notice says that these mills were used up until the year 2000 and had been in use for over 200 years.



I loved out trip to New Mills. Somewhere very close to home and yet a place I had never stopped off to visit before.

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Just read both your posts about New Mills, what a lovely place to visit. All those bridges and that last one the most amazing of all, for a variety of reasons.
Lisa x

Jackie said...

Wow that's a stunning bridge and walkway...will have to suggest a visit there next time I'm visiting Mum & Dad. How poignant about Stan...I'll think about him next time I'm in Tavistock Sq. J xx back then
PS I forgot to say, sorry about the barn but you know I was only there on Carol's coat tails...

topchelseagirl said...

It is all so different from any part of the country I've ever lived in (or visited either). Lovely photos.

Louise said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and you were brave enough to use the walkway!

Last time we were there Dave sneaked in to take some photos inside one of the abandoned mills! It wasn't very interesting to be honest!

We spent ages sat underneath the walkway too as there were fish jumping up the weir. We tried for ages to get a photo but without success!

It's a few years since we have been, the hydro-power things were just being built then so we keep saying we'll go back now that work has finished... one day we will!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Enjoyed your posts about the mills:)

greenthumb said...

What a fantastic walk way, you find some great places.

ChrisJ said...

Now that walkway bridge does look a bit daunting, but good for you -- you did it! Seeing that plaque about the bombing 2005 gives me very politically incorrect thoughts. I followed a blog for a while of someone who had been on that train and very close to the bomb. It absolutely turned her life upside down.

ChrisJ said...

P.S. It's quite surprising what the industrial revolution's legacy has been in recent years, thanks to the ingenuity of the Brits.

Rosie said...

Glad you made it over the walkway. It does look daunting when you look across at it but once you are on it it is very sturdy and feels quite safe. How sad about Stan Brewster, I didn't see the plaque when we were there! The walkway is a wonderful lasting memory of his achievements:)

Aunt Jane's Attic said...

Hi just found your blog and saw New Mills, my husbands aunty used to live there, so know it well and not far from where we used to live in Poynton. Great pictures. Look forward to more. Julie xxx

HippieGirl said...

It's always sad to hear about someone dying. But he's in a better place, out of harm's way.

Jo said...

What an amazing walkway, not sure I'd have plucked up the courage to use it though. How very sad about Stan Brewster, but he's left behind some spectacular work.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting walk. Must put New Mills on my list of places to visit.

Fleur Cotton said...

This brought back lots of memories, my gran used to live in Hayfield, next village to New Mills, so I have alot of childhood memories from this area. I really enjoyed reading about your visit.

Fleur xx

fleurcotton.blogspot.com

saraeden said...

Oh wow you made New Mills look good, to locals it is not the nicest of places which is a shame as the history and lovely houses is amazing!

Have you ever visted Whaley Bridge?

There are some fab places around the Goyt Valley area!