Saturday 31 March 2012

Through the garden gate

I bet that you can guess where I went by just looking at the next couple of photographs. Come with me through the garden gate.

Don't the props give you a clue?
And the colour of this lovely gate?
I bet you guessed that we visited the holiday cottage of Beatrix Potter - Hill Top. It was lovely. We managed to miss the bus load of Japanese tourists (of which there are literally millions in the lakes) and it was fairly quiet and atmospheric when we got there. I wasn't allowed to take photographs inside which was a shame because everything inside was original and had belonged to Beatrix.
I was just a teensy bit disappointed as I had imagined it to be more remote than it was, but it is still in a very tranquil spot and there are lots of gorgeous walks round about. I'd love to do more of this area at a later date.
We wandered around the garden for a while.

One of the house guides showed us the house she bought when she married her husband. Its only just across the way.
It's a beautiful looking place and owned by the National Trust still, but lived in privately by custodians. She still owned the farm even after she bought this bigger place and would pop across to write there. If you ever visit, you must remember to book a timed ticked which I believe you can only do on the day of your visit.
We also paid a visit to Hawkshead whilst we were in the area (on the recommendation of Lyn at Everyday Life) - such a charming village with a million and one cafes! (I could see why you like it Lyn!!) The building below is where Beatrix Potters husband had his solicitors office and now houses a collection of her original paintings.



We had a coffee and cake stop in the square, but couldn't sit for long as it was just too hot! Plus I had a load more to see !

14 comments:

VintageVicki said...

Just seeing the pics brought back happy memories of our visit to Hill Top when the boys were very small. I've a lovely picture of Little Son standing in front of those green gates. They loved their visit and we sat in many of the rooms reading the stories - I end up with quite a group of children listening!!

BadPenny said...

I guessed at the second photo ! Lucky you - this is somewhere I've always wanted to visit. So pretty & thank you for the lovely tour.

greenthumb said...

Such a pretty place.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

I've never been but isn't it remarkable how your opening photo is so true to Beatrix's water colour illustrations. A vicar here in NZ grew up overlooking Hill Top Farm and has William Heelis' Morris bellpads in his pocession. I was beside myself with excitement when he showed them to me.
Great that you are still getting warm weather for your holiday.

Victoria said...

This is going on my list of places to visit! Looks incredibly cute and wonderful.x

Selfsewn said...

Oh I'd like to go there, very inspirational indeed!

Diane said...

What a lovely tour, pity that you could not take pictures inside but.... Have a great weekend t'other Diane

Rosie said...

Lovely! I've really enjoyed your tour of Hill Top cottage and Hawkshead, I'd love to visit both. I like the street sign:)

Kathy said...

Your post brought back happy memories of when we went there about ten years ago. My son was doing a school project on a famous Victorian. One of the guides was so lovely with us, and took a lot of time telling us all about Miss Potter. There's a lovely walk that goes into the woods from just behind Hilltop Cottage.
xxx

Jo said...

I didn't know very much about Beatrix Potter, but the film, Miss Potter, whetted my appetite and I would love to visit Hill Top. There's the blue skies again in all your photos, you definitely picked a great time for your mini break.

Lisa said...

I went there many years ago, I have a photo of that house with me stood in front of it with long hair! It is so lovely there. And just look at the blue sky, you were so lucky with the weather.
Lisa x

noelle said...

Lovely place I remember taking my daughter when she was younger , she loved the books so much.

diane b said...

Maybe it was more remote in Beatrix's day. That would be a cushy job to be custodians and live in the house. I saw the film and loved it.

Lyn said...

I know what you mean about the cottage, I didn't expect it to be so close to other cottages. But it is a pretty place and I am so glad you managed to get to Hawkshead...took me ages to remember the name!
xxx