Tuesday 13 November 2012

A walk - cut short

On Sunday, we set out early to walk a stretch of the Chesterfield Canal that we hadn't done yet.  We didn't do our research though! 

 We started at Hollingworth Hub with a full English breakfast at Nona's cafe and a lovely catch up gossip with Nona herself - such a lovely lady, then we started to walk Staveley way.  We did notice that the Canal looks more like a river here.
 We were relieved to find that this rater cronky looking bridge is reinforced beneath!  We walked on for a short while but then suddenly......
 the canal ran dry!  It turns out that this stretch has not been renovated yet and has been replaced by a new road at one stretch.  I will have to take a look and see what the plans are for this stretch.
 So we turned around and walked back through Staveley itself.  Staveley Hall is a lovely looking building.  Once a home for another part of the Cavendish family, it is now the local council offices.

 We walked back down by the canal - I liked this information board.
 As our walk had been cut short, we decided to visit nearby Chesterfield - a town I have only ever visited at night!
 I was very pleasantly surprised.  It was buzzing with Christmas shoppers and had a lovely atmosphere.  They have spent a lot of money on the town and it is a great mix of old and new.  I shall be making a return visit when it is market day.

 And you know what they say about its church with the crooked spire in Chesterfield don't you............
....it will straighten back up when a virgin gets married in it.

15 comments:

greenthumb said...

Such a lot of lovely things to see, looks like a nice day out.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hahahahahahaha..sorry can't stop laughing at that funny saying!
xxxx

Curtise said...

Diane, how is it that you have only ever been to Chesterfield at NIGHT?! I highly recommend Thursday's flea market, all human life, and the objects they can sell, are there! Love that saying about the crooked spire.
The walk looks great, and I think I will suggest baby dunking to the kids next time they moan about getting in the shower! xxx

Unknown said...

Thanks for such a lovely post. I love Chesterfield and went there a few times when my daughter used to live near.....xxx

Diane said...

oops that would be a very cold bath dunking in the canal Brrrr. Enjoyed this post thanks. Take care t'other Diane

Rosie said...

Chesterfield, another of my old haunts like Sunday's post about 'Bow-zer', still is as my sister (who has just done a post about the crooked spire on her blog) and nieces and their families still live there. I'm sure you will enjoy the market and the Yards:)

tlcukjourney said...

Still a completely gorgeous walk!!

Louise said...

My aunt lives in Staveley, she moved there from Sheffield when I was a child so I used to visit Chesterfield often years ago! I still love going to see the spire. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 I had a wild idea that I was going to test that theory about the spire straightening when I was grown up!

Mrs. H said...

OOOH missus you don't half get about a bit!!!
great post as always, giving me lots of ideas for days out!

: ) x

Just Original said...

Chesterfield is great and I too recommend the Thursday flea market!

I don't think the crooked spire will ever get straight in this day & age!

Vanessa x

Victoria said...

That sign made me giggle. How funny!

x

Lisa said...

How awful the baby dunking sounds! Very chilly way to get clean I reckon!
Chesterfield looks like a really beautiful city.
Lisa x

Patricia said...

Lovely walk Diane. Chesterfield looks a lovely place to visit.
Patricia x

Young at Heart said...

baby dunking and a twisted spire.....oh my no wonder I've never been there!!!x

Little Blue Mouse said...

The baby dunking so made me laugh! I can imagine them coming out dirtier than when they went in.