Sunday 11 November 2012

Bolsover Castle

Hubby is on the mend and on Saturday we managed a day out locally to stop him going completely stir crazy.  We both love the outdoors and its been so frustrating to not get out and about as much.  He still has a bad pain in his lung, but it is gradually getting better.
We decided to visit Bolsover Castle (pronounced Bow-zer locally).  To my great shame, we have driven passed this on the M1 about a million times, but never stopped off to have a look.  It took us just 20 minutes to get there from home and I can't believe we have never been before!

 It is a gorgeous place and really unique.  The owner William Cavendish built it in the 1600's as his "Pleasure Palace" .  His main house was at Welbeck, about 8 miles away!
 We had the audio tour which was free (like telephones) and we learned a lot about William.  He really loved the ladies, but he loved horses more.
 He had this indoor arena built so he could ride his horses dressage style indoors.  It was amazing inside.
 We got there pretty early and we were on our own for a while.
 When I entered the horse riding bit (on my own) I got really freaked out - they had sound effects on and I could hear horses starting to gallop towards me.  Mr Heartshaped thought the look on my face was priceless!

 They had some great information boards that showed how the ruins would have looked....
 And it was interesting to compare these to how they looked today.
 The audio tour made it really interesting, telling us the story of how the King and Queen had been guests and the party that they had put on for them would have cost over One Million pounds in today's money.  Unimaginable!
 The castle stands on the edge of a huge rock mass and the views from the top are spectacular.
The "Little Castle" is in better shape than the rest and is very well preserved.

 It was quite spooky walking around though, especially as we were still on our own at this stage, and they had a few very eerie sound effects.  I am easily spooked!




Bolsover Castle is owned by English Heritage these days and is a great place to visit if you are local, or passing by - I can highly recommend it.

18 comments:

Victoria said...

What a stunning place!

I'd be freaked out by the sound effects too. I'm such a scaredy cat!

Adding this to my ever growing list of places to see.

x

Louise said...

I love the views from the castle too. It is a nice one to look around, I think our last visit was early this year.

Jan said...

It's a beautiful place. I've certainly added to my list of things to do when I'm in your area. Jx

Curtise said...

It's a great place, isn't it? No hot highwaymen there for your visit then, Diane?! Beautiful photos, as ever.
PS. Debs was full of praise for you, she said she and you had met up, and that you are VERY funny! Which is high praise in my book, since I like laughing! xxxx

Rosie said...

Oh, the memories, Diane. I love the castle as it is now, when I was a child we used to pay a few pence at the gate and wander in to the grounds, the little castle was always private or locked up; there used to be fireworks there on Bonfire nights as far as I remember. I think we took it for granted then now with EH looking after it the castle is a gem and so worth a visit. Glad you enjoyed yourselves:)

Lyn said...

We too have passed it many times and always wondered what it was like....now we know! X

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Marvellous Diane, I agree and would certainly visit if in the area. (Would also have reacted in exactly the same way as you re galloping horse sound effects.)

What an unusual cloud formation in the second pic?

Have a good week. Lesley x

greenthumb said...

What a wonderful place, glad to hear your husband is on the mend.

Rowan said...

Like you I've driven past many times but never actually visited - it looks really interesting. Think I've missed the post about your DH being ill - hope he'll soon be recovered.

Rowan said...

Like you I've driven past many times but never actually visited - it looks really interesting. Think I've missed the post about your DH being ill - hope he'll soon be recovered.

Lisa said...

So glad that Mr H was feeling well enough for a little jaunt. I bet the audio tour really bought the whole place to life, even if it was a bit too real at times!
Lisa x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Mmh..very interesting "pleasure place", LOL!
xxxx

Little Blue Mouse said...

What a great place, I bet those sound effects were fab.

menopausalmusing said...

Fantastic details on the doors and interiors. What a place!

Sandies' Patch said...

Hi Diane,
Sorry to hear that hubby has been poorly but, glad he's on the mend now.
I too have in the past, driven past Bolsover Castle on the Motorway, so thanks for sharing!
Hope Hubby gets well soon,
Sandie xx

Young at Heart said...

how fabulous...... are you sure it wasn't the ghosts of horses past?? Fabulous skies x

carol said...

A trip to Bolsover Castle makes a great day out we used to take the children there when they were younger.

Lee Firth said...

I'm planning to visit on Saturday, now that my English Heritage membership card has arrived. I'm really looking forward to it; I've read several very positive reviews/reports.