Friday 23 November 2012

Christmas Lights

On Sunday, we decided to pop into Sheffield to do a spot of present buying with atmosphere - as it was the day that the Christmas lights were getting switched on, and they always do it wit a bit of razzmatazz!

 We got off the tram outside of the Cathedral, and had a little wander around as it was such a gorgeous morning.
 The atmosphere was lovely - very noisy with fun fairs and children barely containing their excitement.  I find times like this weird now my kids are no longer small, I miss it.

 The city has had to work hard at getting folk back in to its centre since it built an out of town shopping mall, and then decimated the shops in the centre, but when it puts on events like this, people pour in.

 We couldn't stay for the switch on, but we ventured back later in the week.  I always have to wander around the festive windows in good old Cole Brothers (John Lewis to the rest of the world).

 The tree is spectacular in height, but I'm not keen on the lights.
 And we have cleverly recycled some of Blackpool illuminations!
 There is a fabulous Pirate Tableaux in the Peace Gardens.
 And good old Santa himself.
I don't allow myself to get too giddy until 1st December, but it's certainly on its way!

15 comments:

elsy said...

love your Lincoln trip pics...we have family down the road so often do the steep hill...i really know what you mean about occasions without the kids....i really felt it on firework night when there was a big display in town...we seemed to be the only one without kids. hope to catch the sheffield lights when pick youngest up in a month or so. cant wait x

Curtise said...

When I put a picture of that Santa on my blog, I got lots of ribald comments about him showing off his "moobs"! I wasn't so keen on the pirates, but I do like the tree and the lights. And we rather liked Neil Armstrong meeting the Tardis and a Dalek!
I don't really like talking Christmas when we are still in November, bit if I didn't get some of the shopping done earlier, I would have a major panic in December! xxx

Diane said...

Great photos and very Christmassy. I only saw my first decorations here yesterday at the supermarket and there are no decorations up in the town yet. We will have a very quiet Christmas with just the two of us.
Have a good weekend, t'other Diane

Rowan said...

Haven't seen the lights in Sheffield yet but saw the ones in Meadowhall last Friday and breally like those. I shall be in the city tomorrow so shall see what I think then:)

Victoria said...

1st of December? I was giddy on the 1st of October! haha

Gilly said...

Steady on, Diane, its not December yet! And there are lots of shopping days to go! ;)

Rosie said...

The shop window looks very festive, and the tree looks pretty I think the lights were switched on here in the city centre last night:)

tlcukjourney said...

Gorgeous!! Did you try getting into the Tardis?? :)
I've enjoyed the Christmas lights in London as well, I love this time of year!

Lisa said...

That FC looks very jolly indeed, just how he stood look.
I love the Christmas windows, JL always do a superb one.
Lisa x

Young at Heart said...

wow.....quite the winter wonderland!!

greenthumb said...

What a lovely thing to do, can't wait till next weekend.

menopausalmusing said...

Loving the comment about Santa and his "moobs".......
There is something for you over at my blog...... :O))))))

ted and bunny said...

wow- how lovely to be wished Happy Chanukah in lights! never seen that anywere else before!

Lyn said...

It looks great Diane and the day time photos look like a summers day! Bet it was chilly though? I can't feel Christmas-y until I see some lights so will have to wait until 8th December!
Xxx

A garden just outside Venice said...

Having spent over one week stuck indoor, I'm still not into the Xmas spirit. Anyway Sheffield looks lovely in its festive atmosphere!
xxx