Sunday 18 November 2012

Lincoln Cathedral

So after a leisurely start, and breakfast in the Old Palace.....

We wandered through a little hole in the wall (which made me feel a bit like Alice in Wonderland!) to have a look around Lincoln Cathedral.
It is undergoing a lot of walk at the moment.  I am in awe of stonemasons and crafts people who can recreate these ancient artifacts.
Like all Cathedrals, Lincoln is jaw dropping in its splendour.  The young choir boys where practising Christmas Carols which made my lip quiver on more than one occasion whilst walking around.

One of our favourite parts was the chapel that was dedicated to the Army, Navy and Airforce.
It was quite striking and very moving.

These are the newest of the stained windows and I love them.  They are telling the story of the building of the Cathedral.
I absolutely love Cloisters in any Cathedral.  I can recommend the coffee and warm mince pies in the cloister cafe.




I think the old part of Lincoln at the top of the hill is the best bit.  We did venture down the hill later on, so I'll show you those photos later.

12 comments:

John Going Gently said...

impressive and almost christmasy

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Wow - wonderful photographs! I agree - I'm not sure modern builders could recreate these wonderful places using the tools of the day (or even with modern methods)!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, Diane. And, look at that Blue sky! How wonderful.
The lone choir boy singing the first verse of Once in Royal David's City always makes me blub.
Jill xx

Diane said...

Amazing and great photos. I love these old historic places, they don't build them like this today. t'other Diane

tlcukjourney said...

AMAZING!
That cathedral looks like it was breath taking!

Curtise said...

Your photos are always a treat, Diane. Did you find the Imp? xxx

greenthumb said...

What an amazing cathedral, such a lovely group of photos.

Rosie said...

Isn't it wonderful! Did you spot the Lincoln Imp?:)

Victoria said...

We were there not too long ago. I love Lincoln!

Jan said...

Lincoln is my Mother-in- Law's nearest big town. I think it's a lovely place. Sounds as if you found a really nice place to stay too. Jx
PS - Glad you liked the hearts!

Anonymous said...

This has brought back memories, such a long time since I was in the Cathedral.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Beautiful architecture!
xxx