Tuesday 20 November 2012

The last bit of Lincoln

In answer to questions, yes I think we did spot the imp - is this it?

 After our tour of the Cathedral, we ventured down "Steep Hill" - and yes, it is aptly named.
 I love the old corner shop at the bottom - it looks very "wartime" to me.
 The bottom bit of Lincoln is the new bit and has a very different feel to the top of the hill.  It is more modern and has more "chain" shops and restaurants, but it also has a couple of lovely little markets too.  We walked along the waterside at the newly restored Brayford Pool .  The sun was out by this stage and it got fairly warm.
 Where the canal goes under the main shopping street, it reminds me of some of the towns we visited in Normandy France.


 Once back at the top of the town, we headed back to our car.
 I love Lincoln.  It's near enough to us to pop for the day, but we really enjoyed the night out too - something we plan on doing more of now that we find ourselves back to being "a couple" more and more.

 And off we drove - back home into the sunset.

15 comments:

A garden just outside Venice said...

Lovely,lovely,lovely...and so romantic..aah..
xxxx

Curtise said...

Actually, I don't think that IS the Imp! Look him up on Google images, he sits crossed legged and has big ears and what look like horns and a rather evil grin!
Love the pic of the Antiques and Collectables shop and the street over the canal. And a great sunset! xxx

Unknown said...

I love the shops at the top of the hill, never been so keen on the shops at the bottom.
You've taken some lovely photos, Diane.
xx

Louise said...

I've never been to Lincoln but from all your posts it looks like somewhere I want to visit. Your accommodation was fantastic and what a gorgeous sunset you had going home.

Mrs. H said...

We visited a last year as a couple and these photos could quite easily be from my camera (although yours are much better!)
I am looking forward to going back some time soon.

: ) x

Rosie said...

The coffee shop over the canal is wonderful, it always smells so tempting as you pass by. That isn't the Imp - he's up on a pillar in the angel choir at the back of the building behind the main alter - that's a good excuse to go back again one day and find him:)

Patricia said...

Lincoln is one of my favourite cities. I love it. You're right, the top of the hill is so different to the bottom. We've spent many a happy time wandering up and down Steep Hill. We stayed at the White Hart Hotel once and it was wonderful except it was bang next door to the Cathedral and its bells!
Patricia x

HippieGirl said...

I love little towns like that. So much romance in the simplicity of it all. Beautiful sunset, small town, some romance, sounds perfect to me, except for the not having a guy at the moment part, lol

Rowan said...

Lincoln is one of my favourite places though it's a good while since I was last there. Steep Hill is full of lovely little shops isn't it? Time for another visit I think:)

Nic B Vintage Be Beau said...

The Christmas markets in Lincoln are also fantastic...went for about 10 years on the trot!!

Anonymous said...

I have loved your series on Lincoln and I hope you go again.

topchelseagirl said...

Lincoln has been on my ever growing list of places to visit for a while. Must go soon.

Lisa said...

You've shown enough of Lincoln to make me want to put Lincoln on my to visit list.
Lisa x

Jille said...

Lincoln is a beautiful city and I am so pleased to live here.
Jille xx

Little Blue Mouse said...

Great photos and the place where you stayed looked fabulous!