Sunday 3 February 2013

More Elsecar

I made the most of the clear blue skies yesterday and had another walk around the old mining village of Elsecar.  Hubby was at work, and I am currently on medication that makes me very tired, so i didn't want galavant off too far!  There is usually a lot going on at the weekend here and on this occasion they were holding auctions for bric a brac - I daren't go on - I am supposed to be de cluttering! 
I love the old buildings in the old collier yard (which also used to house the Earl Fitwilliams private railway station).

 


 I always find it fascinating to read about the local history - trouble is, I am old enough to be able to remember of lot of it these days!

 I was thrilled to find this blossom tree almost in full bloom outside of the old colliery offices.
I am heartily glad to see the back of January and glad that February is under way so that we can get that out of the way too!   I've had to rest up a lot this month - which is not something I am usually good at, so a gentle walk out in the real world on a sunny day was a lovely bonus.

14 comments:

Jan said...

I hope that you're soon feeling a bit more 'energised' again. It's horrible when medication 'takes things out of you'. Isn't it great to see some early spring flowers.... Jx

Lyn said...

Glad to hear you are talking it easy anyway. Wasn't it lovely to have blue sky and winter sun yesterday? Xxx

A garden just outside Venice said...

Lovely to hear that some sunshine has cheered you up a little bit!
Have a good week! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
xxxx

greenthumb said...

Such lovely photos of the old building, hope you start to feel better soon.

Rowan said...

Sorry that you're struggling a bit at the moment, hope the medication does its stuff and that you feel better soon. Haven't been to Elseecar for a while, it's an interesting place isn't it?

Gilly said...

That looks a really interesting place - I must try and find it on the map. Trouble is, Mr.G seems to think a trip across the Pennines is uncharted territory, and probably dragons live there!!

Hope you are getting better, don't rush things, taking it easy means that, not trying to do just one more thing!

Jennyffww said...

Blue sky is particularly welcome at this time of year. Thanks for some positive signs, we are having a blizzard here at the moment.

diane b said...

It must have been heartening to see the bush flowering happily in winter. Sorry to hear you are not 100%. Hope you get well soon.

Rosie said...

Lovely photos, Diane. Glad you are getting out and about even though your medication is making you feel tired and that you are having to take things gently which I know won't be easy for you! Do take carexxxx

Lisa said...

So pleased you felt like getting out and about a bit this weekend in that lovely bright sunshine.
You have stronger willpower than me, I couldn't have resisted that auction. Maybe it's a good job I don't live nearer as I would have had to have dragged you in!!
Lisa x

Ray+Joan said...

Hope you are feeling better after your walk around Elescar. x

Curtise said...

Good to see you enjoying a trip out, even if you stayed close to home and took it steady, Diane! Great pics, as always. Look after yourself, hope you feel less tired soon. xxx

Lee said...

Elsecar Heritage Centre is one of my favourite places. I visit several times a year.

Unknown said...

Hello would just like to say I love elsicar heritage village and me and the wife like to go a few times a year to see new stock the thing is after being there we both feel very tired and drained dose anyone else feel this way or is it just us what feel this way I buy and sell antiques so dealing all the time with old items but after being up on the second floor it just totaly drains us very strange can anybody shed any light on this