Monday 25 February 2013

Mooching around

On Sunday, we had planned to park at Kelham Island and walk down by the riverside, and then back on the canal, but we only got as far as Victoria Quays before we decided it was far too cold to be near the waters edge! And so we decided to just mooch through the city where it was marginally warmer.


 I often look for these informative plaques tthat are dotted around - and often learn something new.
 Sheffield has its fair share of souless chain coffee shops, but it also has loads of brilliant independent ones too.  This is one of our current favourites - it is only tiny but is a gorgeous little place with fabulous coffee and really good food.  They also have some special "goings on" after work hours too.
 It is a stunning little place.
 I often think I should do a blog post about the old pubs that are still standing in Sheffield.  A lot of them are amazing buildings.
 This one used to be the starting point for our office pub crawls back in the early 1980's.
 We popped our heads into the Emergency Services museum as we passed it.
 And the decided to call into the Nichols building which now houses arts, crafts and vintage stalls - a fascinating little place.

 I had never been in before, so it was a perfect excuse.  I can highly recommend a visit.  So much to see, and I bought a lovely little hat for my 1940's costume that I shall be wearing in a few weeks time - you'll have to wait for photo's of that!
Plan B turned out much warmer and far more enjoyable. When is it going to warm up?! x
PS - Any spelling mistakes etc on this post can be blamed on my new varifocal glasses - I am getting soooooo old. x

19 comments:

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a great post Diane! Love that pub shaped like the iron building. Never been to Sheffield but you have some great looking architecture there. X

Gilly said...

That all looks so interesting! But surely you were not old enough to go into pubs in the 1980's???

And you find some really lovely old buildings, too!

Victoria said...

I love these kind of blog posts you do. They always give me ideas for places to have a nosy round!

Lisa said...

What a lovely day it turned out to be. I love the look of that building where the pub is, isn't it unusual.
Look forward to seeing your outfit in a few weeks!
Lisa x

Shortbread and Ginger said...

What an unusual shaped building! Looks like an interesting area.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Louise said...

What an unusual building that pub is. I've seen it before as someone on the 365 project site photographed it. Sounds like a great and very interesting day.

Curtise said...

Where is Tamper, Diane? And why don't I know already?!
I always like Sheffield's own version of the Flat Iron building too, and I LOVE the Nichols building, isn't it great?
If you're old, then I am too - I have varifocal contact lenses!

Take a Thursday off one week and I'll meet you at Debs' stall at Chesterfield market! Hope you are doing OK. xxxx

HippieGirl said...

Emergency Services Museum? No way, I gotta see that!! And what's stopping you from doing posts about some of those old pubs? It's your blog, post about what you like :D And besides, I'll know where to go to get a drink, lol, if I ever visit England :D One of my favorite bands, Def Leppard, is from Sheffield :D

Diane said...

I really enjoy these walks with you. I get to see all sorts of places that I would never go to under normal circumstances. Thanks t'other Diane

Rosie said...

I love your mooching around and plan B type posts as you always show us so much of interest. I like the look of the coffee shop:)

primrosesattic said...

What lovely buildings, I would love to walk around there if I was closer.
Looked like another perfect day.
Rosezeeta

Down by the sea said...

I love the shape of that pub. Sheffield looks as if it has lots of hidden gems.
Sarah x

Lx @ Twelve said...

This walk is going to have to go on my to do list...
Love the look of the shops & museaum!

Lx

Linda P said...

Definitely a good walk, Diane and, as you say, a warmer option to Plan A.

Jan said...

Looks like you had a lovely 'mooch' around! Jx

Lyn said...

Lovely sneaky peek at Sheffield DiNe, I remember it fondly from our first blog meeting?..it was sunny that day though! Xxx

Young at Heart said...

can you believe it's March??? I read on a plack the other day, near where I live, that Gracie Fields had lived in that particular house in the 1920s......which was rather surprising!!x

Paula said...

Oh wow, I'm sure that's the pub we used to drink in on a Friday lunch time. I used to work at Guardian Royal Exchange which I think was down that road. This was 26 years ago believe it or not. Happy times. Paula x
needlecraftcorner.blogspot.com

A garden just outside Venice said...

Yes please, a virtual pub crawl for your bloggy friends :D
xxxxx