Thursday 29 September 2011

Squeezing the last drop

Always the one to squeeze the last drop out of a great day out, after our lunch and bike ride, and being in no rush to get home, we popped to Ashford-in-the-Water. If you enlarge this photo you might get some idea of the number of bees and butterflies enjoy the sunshine on this plant.


I love Ashford in the water.

We parked up and went for a take away coffee from Mr Ibbotsons. I took some photos along the way to show you.
It has some great little cottages,
a couple of wonderful pubs,
and some very grand houses too.
They also have preserved many of the old wells around the village.

Then we dashed to the Thornbridge Brewery in Bakewell to stock up on supplies of hubby's current favourite ale, and had a walk along the riverside there. I couldn't resist showing you the size of the fish swimming under the bridge. There are always a few trout here, but on this occasion there were absolutely loads of the most enormous ones I have ever seen.
At times like this, I wish I had a better camera!

16 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Photos are great - especially the first one.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Janet said...

If I was that duck I`d be scared -that trout is huge ! wonderful place and photographs,I enjoyed the tour thank you xx

Deborah said...

Great photos these places are so pretty, love all of the butterflies and bees on the flowers :)

Have you entered my cushion giveaway?

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

greenthumb said...

Very pretty, lots of butterfly's and bees, I know what you mean about a better camera.

Rosie said...

Lovely photos. I love Ashton-in-the-water and Bakewell:)

Jo said...

It's nice to see that you made the most of your day off, especially in such lovely weather. The first photo is amazing, I don't think I've ever seen so many butterflies enjoying one plant before.

HippieGirl said...

Aww, that duck was cute. But I just adore these photos. They make me wnat to visit England that much more!!! Hopefully someday I'll get the chance to see England, it's so beautiful, the rural country areas are what I would visit too along with London, Abbey Road is there, maybe me and 3 people I know who like The Beatles can reenact the Abbey Road crossing like they did.

But seriously, I enjoy looking at the pictures ypu put on here, they are always lovely

Louise said...

It's always nice to have a wander around Ashford in the Water. I like watching the cricket on Saturdays sometimes! I have seen some very large trout on my travels lately too!

I am also always wishing for a better camera!

Diane said...

Great photos regardless of the camera. Love that first one it is alive. Diane

Mac n' Janet said...

Beautiful place, so peaceful, your photos are wonderful.

Pomona said...

What a lovely place to go. I like your photos, whatever your camera!

Pomona x

Anna at the Doll House said...

It looks to be the quintessential English village: the stuff I dream about and miss terribly.

Anna

periwinkle said...

You always visit the most gorgeous villages and boy that trout is a whopper

ChrisJ said...

Was this perhaps Ashford-in-the Water rather than Ashton? I ask because The Thornbridge Brewery is just up the road from Ashford and I attended Thornbridge Hall when it was a teacher's Training College before it was a brewery. Some of the views look familiar.

A garden just outside Venice said...

I love Ashford-in-the-Water too!
Great pics!
xxx

Ray+Joan said...

you take great photo's Diane with your camera but who know's Christmas is just round the corner.