Sunday 29 September 2013

Something old, something new

After work on Monday evening, hubby and I took ourselves off to Leeds for a spot of entertainment.  The venue for the evening may be very familiar to those of a certain age! How many of you can remember "The Good Old Days"  with Leonard Sachs ?  I certainly can!

I had never been to the City Varieties theatre in Leeds and was thrilled to discover that my newest band discovery were playing here.  The theatre is tucked into some little alley in the main shopping area and has just undergone a refurbishment.  It is a beautiful little place.

I had discovered "Boyce Avenue" on Youtube and I really loved the lead singers voice and guitar playing.  They are a bit of an internet sensation, and I thought it was very ironic that they should be playing in such a very old venue.
It appears that they still perform the Good Old Days - with some very old faces in it!  If you remember, the audience used to dress up in Victorian clobber and this is still very much encouraged.  I think I may have to put a visit to one of these shows on my list and bring out my inner Nell Gwynn!
The refurb has been done brilliantly and retained the very Victorian feel of this little theatre.

We did notice that we were approximately twice the age of most of the audience - but that never puts me off! The band were every bit as good as I'd hoped they would be and we had a great evening.  They sang a mixture of cover versions and songs they had written themselves.


I'll leave you with one that they sang with one of their guests.  Hope you enjoy it.



8 comments:

Rosie said...

I've always liked that song and I love the acoustic guitar. I remember those Good Old Days shows on TV! It looks as if they have made a good job of the refurbishment:)

Jan said...

Wow - that's a blast from the past! I remember the TV show. The theatre still looks very similar. Jx

greenthumb said...

Sounds like a fun night out.

Gilly said...

That brought back memories - I was at Leeds Uni - a very, very long time ago! Lovely photos!

Curtise said...

Glad you had a good time, nothing beats live music.
Yes, I remember The Good Old Days, every episode seemed to feature Danny La Rue, as I recall! xxxx

Rowan said...

I certainly remember The Good Old Days on TV - what fun to visit the actual theatre. Glad you enjoyed the band.

Miss Holly said...

So nice of you to stop by....I have been just terrible about writing lately!! We have had the hottest summer and it's still going strong!!! Hot hot hot today!!!
I just didn't have it in me to keep up this summer but I'm ready to get back!!!
Yes !! If you ever come to the states I would love to see you here!!!! Show you New England!!!
I adore all your travels....every where you show us I add to my list!!! Xxx

Lyn said...

Will look them up.....more dressing up in the pipeline Diane? Xxx