Monday 25 July 2011

Monsal Dale

I heard on the news this week that whilst the national average increase in tourism is 5%, the increase here in Yorkshire is a whopping 14%. I like to think I'm playing my part.
Whilst technically in Derbyshire, Monsal Dale is only about a thirty minute drive from Sheffield and could possibly be the most beautiful place in the world.

I knew that once I had a full year under my belt as a blogger, I would start repeating myself, but stick with me, as although I have taken you here many times, this time, there's a twist.
The walking around here is great, always something to see, and so many wonderful pubs, cafes and tea gardens to call in on route too.

The wild flowers are plenty,
and the air was filled with the scent of Wild Thyme.
This area of the Monsal Trail is called Water-Cum-Jolly.
This place would have looked very different a hundred years ago when the area was an Industrial site - nowadays, Mother Nature is back in control.
The trail follows the old railway line and features a fabulous viaduct which spans the valley.

And here is the new feature. They have opened up all the tunnels on the trail. These have been closed for a few decades and now they have been restored so that you can cycle or walk the whole 8 miles of the trail.
Now some of you know that I don't do heights, and I don't do tunnels either, but I gripped the big lads arm, and was very brave and managed to walk through two of them.
It'll be better when I'm whizzing through on a bike though.
I may be gone a while. I'm expecting visitors from oversees and I am also taking a little trip myself, so see you in a while. xxxxx

19 comments:

Louise said...

Monsal is a favourite with me too! I haven't had chance to visit since the tunnel reopening, but I plan to do so over the summer holiday.

Rosie said...

Glad you were able to overcome your fears and walk through the tunnels. We hope to follow in your footsteps sometime soon - we picked up a map recently at Hassop Station showing the walk with the tunnels. Hope you enjoy your visitors and your trip:)

Twiggy said...

Oooo lovely, we know how fab Yorkshire is don't we :)
Twiggy x

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

They should be thanking you for the increase in tourists! :o)

Travel With Lulu said...

I've not been to Yorkshire yet, but we'd love to go soon :) You were so brave in the tunnel - that would have made me nervous

greenthumb said...

Yorkshire is one of my most favourite places in the world I justed loved it when I was there, have fun on your trip.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Ha ha! You should ask for a commission!
xxxxx

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

It looks like a lovely walk, something that I enjoy doing. The wild Thyme is lovely to see. A hundred years ago that railway line would have been filled with smoke, noise and would be very different to now.
Isabelle x

Sue Hayton said...

Don't stay away too long! Have a good holiday

Kathy said...

We had a lovely day there not so long ago .... I thought the tunnels were wonderful. I think Water-cum-Jolly is one of my favourite places on the planet!
xxx

Jo said...

What beautiful scenery. It's no wonder that people are flocking to Yorkshire, we have some wonderful places here to visit. I wouldn't fancy walking through the tunnels either, so well done. Hope you have fun with your visitors and have a lovely trip.

Gilly said...

I read about those tunnels opening - they look interesting, to say the least!

Have a good holiday!

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Water-cum-Jolly! Love it.

lazylol said...

You & I are playing our pars for yorkshire tourism! let's keep up the good work.

Have a lovely time x

Lisa said...

Like the fact there are pletny of refreshment stops to be had! I'm sure you must be behind the tourism increase!
Enjoy your time with your visitors and your own trip too.
Lisa x

BadPenny said...

well done you ! I don't do heights.. looks lovely there

ChrisJ said...

My husband and I did our courting around Monsal Head -- and Great Longstone and Little Longstone.

periwinkle said...

I think that tunnel would scare me a bit too ... I always hate walking under scaffolding . Hope you have a lovely time with your visitors and on your break

andamento said...

I'm looking forward to seeing where you get to once you've got your bike, though you manage to do pretty well just on foot. I'd rather cycle than walk through that tunnel too.