Monday 11 July 2011

West Stockwith

Our travels on Sunday took us to the edge of South Yorkshire - to West Stockwith which is where the Chesterfield Canal meets the tidal river Trent. Another place on my doorstep where I have never been.

The Canal Basin here on this warm Sunday afternoon put me in mind of a few places on the Norfolk Broads we had visited a while back and I felt in a holiday mood! It must have been the boats, the chinking of wine glasses on the boats, and the blue sky.

West Stockwith has a fascinating history and would have looked so very different in the past.
I was intrigued by East Stockwith across the fast flowing Trent. East Stockwith is in Lincolnshire, and was once linked by ferry (until the 1950's). Looking on the map, its miles by road to get to it now.


We continued our quest to walk every stretch of the Cuckoo Way on the Chesterfield Canal. Although West Stockwith is very picturesque, the stretch of canal from here is a bit boring to walk. The Chesterfield and Kiverton stretch . are much more interesting - and pretty.
We decided that this stretch would be much better whizzed through on bikes.
We loved the Goslings though - so sweet.
We had 2 very lucky escapes. We had stood at one point discussing whether or not to walk another 2 miles down the canal to the next village. Because it wasn't interesting walking, we decided not to.
Lucky escape no.1 was when we got back to where we parked the car at 3.45pm, hubby noticed a sign saying that the gates were locked every day at 4pm!
Lucky escape no.2 - 5 minutes after we got back to the car, the heavens opened and we had 15 minutes of totally torrential rain.
Good decision to turn back when we did!!

19 comments:

Diane said...

Ooops that could have been a problem getting the car locked in!!! Interesting part of the country yet again which I have never seen Thanks. Diane

harmony and rosie said...

I feel exhausted after all that walking I've just caught up on! Lovely scenery, I wonder whether the man from Park Hill flats ever got his girlfriend to marry him?! X

greenthumb said...

What a great place, I love a your photos.

Rebecca said...

I have never heard of this place but it looks lovely, I must go! x

Marie said...

Hi Diane, just been reading through all your recent posts and enjoyed all your outings. I really think the Yorkshire Tourist Board should give you a job!!

Lisa said...

Now i see why the bike! It looks like a perfect place for a sunny weekend wander. Very well timed on both counts though!
Lisa x
word verif is amblet- is that a small walk?!

Little Blue Mouse said...

I only live a couple of miles from West Stockwith, you could have called in for a cuppa!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I love it when you get into "tour guide mode"! Lucky you not to be locked in; I was locked in the gates where I work one Friday evening, and it's a weird feeling, believe me. Of course, I was able to "escape" with my vehicle after just a few minutes, but it was strange to say the least!

Rosie said...

I thought West Stockwith sounded familiar for some reason and I've just realised that it's near Walkerith where we used to visit some friends - a long time ago now - who were doing up an old house there at the time. Looks a lovely walk and the sky is so blue - good job you decided to return to the car though:)

Jo said...

I bet you're glad that stretch of the canal isn't so interesting now. What a lucky escape. I think the goslings are cygnets, ugly ducklings that will grow up to be beautiful swans.

Blueberry Heart said...

hellooooo! thank you SO much for your really lovely comments - I caught up with tinterweb only a few times while away as it was in the local pub where they had free wiffy (wifi!) so you can imagine I wasn't in there very often....and certainly not quaffing gigantinormous G&T's at the same time...oh no....not me....!!
been great catching up with almost 4 weeks worth of posts!! Bliss!!

K xx

Janet said...

What a wonderful place-I agree you really should work for the tourist board !x

Poppy said...

Thanks for taking me along with you in my PJ'S! ;) it looks a lovely place.....

Lou xxx

potterjotter said...

You do find some really lovely places to visit - I love the way these old canals have been restored and made accessible to Joe Public.

Rowan said...

This looks a really lovely stretch of the Chesterfield Canal and you obviously had a nice day there, just as well that you decided to turn back when you did though:)

Kimberley said...

Beautiful photos as usual x

A garden just outside Venice said...

I was going to say that you had been blessed by lovely weather until I got at the end of your post, LOL!
Re DD...I hope one day we won't argue, since we do like the same men, ha ha! ;D

A garden just outside Venice said...

Ops, forgot to send you my love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Lovely photos Diane - Someone was obviously looking out for you that day, with your 2 lucky escapes xx