Thursday 28 April 2011

Further wanderings around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Come with me for a further look around the YSP. As well as the central visitor area, there are
acres and acres of grounds and parkland - much of it with good disabled access - to roam around and enjoy.
The current exhibition by Sophie Ryder sits well in the gardens and car parks and really does enjoy the big spaces.

These bronzes are huge, and much loved by the kids that visit the park as well as the adults.





Of course you have to share the park with the residents.


There is currently a film exhibit inside the pretty little church. I love the weathered patterns on the door of the church.



Once across the lake, you can climb the Seventy One steps (number confirmed by hubby). I love that David Nash made something so practical but also so emotive. The path is made from coal mined locally.

The steps take you up over a beautiful hillside and through the wood.

Its worth the climb for the views, and also the current wonderful display of bluebells.



Many of you have said that you may call in when passing through the area at some point this year. Its well worth it as it is situated 2 minutes from the M1 motorway so easy to get to. As they only charge £4 for the car park and no admission charge, even if you only stay an hour, you get your moneys worth. There is a good planner HERE which tells you the best bits to visit depending on the amount of time you have to spare. And as Rob Ryan wrote in my comments when I did a blog on his brilliant exhibition here last year, the cafe at YSP is now his motorway service station of choice in the north!

10 comments:

Jo said...

I must visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, your posts have whetted my appetite. I've often passed the signs for it on the motorway but have never been.

Susan T said...

Wonderful shots Diane. I love those sculptures. May I say you have some Grand days out.

Elizabethd said...

Oh Diane, those bluebells! how I long to see a woodland like that....but they just dont seem to grow here. Very beautiful.

Louise said...

Thanks for that info - we were thinking of taking the M1 for part of our trip so it's handy to know it's not far from that!

I've definitely seen the hare in the first photo somewhere else (or one similar), but I can't think where?! Possibly Chatsworth?!

HippieGirl said...

If I ever get the chance to visit England, I'm making it a goal to visit here. Because I'm an avid nature lover, and I just adore being outside, with teh fresh air, and art in the park. I'm definitely going here if I ever get the chance to visit England.

Lisa said...

Ah, just look at the baa lambs, so sweet.
Lisa x

Gilly said...

Those bluebells are really gorgeous - you have managed to get the true blue of them.

Those sculptures could be a bit disturbing........

John Going Gently said...

I miss our sundays there!

Rosie said...

It all looks so wonderful:)

John Going Gently said...

ps THANK YOU FOR THE LOVELY CARD...MADE MY DAY
X