Monday 11 April 2011

The Last Leg

The last leg of our walk on Saturday took us up the hill to Over Haddon and on a hot day, what could be better than the best pub in the world - serving a fine selection of guest ales. The Lathkill Hotel really is my favourite pub (The Sloop in St Ives is my 2nd fave). It has a couple of rooms too that would be great for a nights stay. They always have great beer, the food is lovely and the puddings are amazing.
But of course its the views that make it. It was here that I discovered I hadn't indeed won the Euro Lottery (but it turns out my horse came 3rd in the office Grand National sweepstake - so that's where the bird plop came in!).

After a swift pint, we wandered back through the village,
past the pretty little church,
and back down to the beautiful river Lathkill. Plenty of people were making the most of the lovely weather and the cool water and having a paddle. This is the best place for miles around to paddle.

There are plenty of places that are shallow enough for a dip.
but as you wander back, past where the river Bradford and Lathkill meet, and wandering back towards Youlgreave,
there is a part of the river that has been dammed to make a pool deep enough to swim in. It is officially the villages open air pool. It had been busy earlier, but everyone had dried off when we got there.
Wandering back along the river, we eventually got back to Middleton.
I can highly recommend this superb walk.

15 comments:

Louise said...

I have never been into that pub, but I do like puddings, so perhaps, after your recommendation, I must do so next time we are there!

Janet said...

What a fabulous walk Diane ! the scenery is breathtaking !

potterjotter said...

... and there he is! As you say, Great Minds. We've always loved our walks in Derbyshire - your photos bring back memories.

Carol said...

Fantastic scenery, what a lovely walk.
Carol xx

Mary Ann Tate said...

Thank you for the lovely walk:)

Miss Holly said...

Oh, what a lovely time you've had!! Just a piece of heaven there......

Lisa said...

A perfect day out destination. I can just imagine you getting out your camera to take all those photos!
Lisa x

Rosie said...

That little church at Over Haddon is very pretty! Like the sound of the puddings at the Lathkill Hotel:)

Rowan said...

I only know the Monyash end of Lathkill Dale so I must try the Over Haddon end. I love that Green Man so that will be something to look out for.

diane b said...

This is picture book scenery. What a lovely walk. I would love to do it. Dream on.

Jo said...

There's some gorgeous scenery. It's quite the perfect place for a walk.

two bones and a bagle said...

Hi Diane - went to Oldcotes car boot on Sunday it was massive. The others I like to go to are Torksey on a Weds afternoon and on a Saturday aternoon there is also one at Palterton just off M1 towards Chesterfield (can't remember junction) Thats Saturday aternoon too. I noticed the other day there is one on the Arena car park on Sunday morning now but I haven't been. Oh one at Dinnington Rugby Club too but dont think that has started yet.

periwinkle said...

Oh I did so enjoy this walk , that conservatory on the last post and the thought of pudding definatley helped . Gloriuos walk in the sunshine.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hi HRH of South Yorkshire! This walk has been extremely long, but so beautiful!
xxxx

noelle said...

Beautiful!!