Tuesday 15 February 2011

Embellished Heart

I have a friend who will hopefully be moving into a new home shortly. She really appreciates something homemade and so on Sunday morning, I stayed in my jimjams, turned on the handsome Dan Snow (and his Dad on the history channel !) and decided to try and make her an embellished heart - inspired by the beautiful work that Carolyn Saxby does.

Whilst in Sheffield on Saturday, I bought a couple of bags of bits from John Lewis (or Cole Brothers as we oldies still like to call it). They seem to sweep up the sewing room floor and cram these bits of fabrics and haberdashery into bags and sell them for £1.00.

Using some of Carolyn's techniques, I heat treated and shrivelled up the chiffon scraps (that was great fun and hubby could not believe how excited I got - simple things!!), I dyed some of the fabrics, lace and ribbons with cold tea and also with a few of the blackberries I had in the freezer.

When I have tried to make hearts before, I have always found them a bit fiddly, and so this time I decided to embellish the heart before I cut it out. I then sewed the embellished side to the plain side - again before I cut it out - turned it the right way and then stuffed it. This worked like a dream. Its a very touchy feely heart. The fabrics are pieces of silk and deep purple velvet.
I embellished the heart with lace, beads,ribbon and odd earrings!

I think she will like it.


I'll never be any where near as artistic as Carolyn, but I loved making this and it help me pass a very rainy Sunday morning - and I want to make some more! The whole thing cost much less that £1.00 to make.


Carolyn's Flickr photos are a great way to while away a rainy afternoon too.

35 comments:

Lisa said...

Again clever you!
I bet your friend will love it, it's so pretty and totally unique.
Lisa x

Living the frugal life in France said...

That really is lovely and very personal
Sue

Jacquie said...

Hi Diane , I think your heart is stunning and such a thoughtful gift.
I wish I could find bags of scraps like that...even remnants seem expensive these days .
Jacquie x

Anonymous said...

Delicious!!! Now guess what I am going to have to try!! Nic x

Diane said...

Diane I am so impressed that looks very professional. I think you should start a craft shop. Diane

Beki said...

Beautiful!
I would be over the moon to receive this as a gift, love it!

B xx

menopausalmusing said...

Very pretty and so much nicer than something shop bought.

Jill said...

I think your heart is fabulous - what a clever lady you are. I am sure your friend will love it!
Jillx

Sue Hayton said...

Lovely - almost worth a visit to Sheffield to go to Cole Brothers! Such excellent bags of goodies! My mother bought the fabric for my wedding dress in Coles - that was a LONG time ago!
Sue

Rosie said...

You are very clever, Diane - what a lovely heart - your friend will treasure it I'm sure:)

Susan T said...

What a beautiful gift - made with love for a friend.

A real keepsake

Sue x

Jo said...

It's gorgeous, I'm sure your friend will be over the moon with it. It's wonderful receiving hand made gifts, they're so unique and made with love. I wish we had a John Lewis here.

Marie said...

Diane, that's so beautiful. Your friend will be thrilled to receive such a unique and heart-felt present, I know I would be!

Vintage Tea Time said...

Fantastic result - and good tips re the making! Thanks for showing us - your friend will be thrilled!

topchelseagirl said...

Wow it is beautiful and I'm sure will be treasured. x

diane b said...

That is clever and I'm sure your friend will appreciate the work you put into it. I wouldn't have the patience.

Ray+Joan said...

It's v. clever I love it & I bet your friend will too.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

There is nothing more loving than to give a gift of yourself... The receiver must know that she was on your mind during the whole process from the shopping to the finish. Diane, it just does not get any better than that

Bisous,
Genie

Mandy said...

That is gorgeous, I love it.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Sandies' Patch said...

Only just seen your beautiful heart, catching up on the blogs.
It is as good as one of Caolyns', it is your creation and a bl***y good one Girl! I love it!
Well done!

Hugs,
Sandie xx

Simone said...

I am sure your friend will love it! A good idea to embellish before sewing the two halves together. I will have to remember that tip myself!x

Jean said...

It's lovely! I love a browse round Cole Brothers, especially the fabric and haberdashery depts.

Ticking stripes said...

Lovely Diane 0 simple pleasures can be so satisfying!

Julia said...

What a gorgeous idea Diane, and so very personal too! Much nicer to hand make something rather than dash out and buy something mass produced! Your heart has turned out beautifully, I love all the detail and the text, I bet she will be over the moon!

Ps - love Carolyns work too!

Julia x

HippieGirl said...

I think your best friend will love it no matter what. If your friend knows there's kindness and thought behind it, I think she'll appreciate it as much as ever! I think she'll like, as long as she knows it's from a friend, that'll make it more special

jennyfreckles said...

Very pretty - I'm sure she'll love that, knowing you put your time and love into it especially for her.

Carol said...

Beautiful, I'm sure you friend will love and treasure it.
Carol xx

Christy said...

What a sweet friend you are! That is a lovely heart, and I'm sure she'll treasure it always. Well done!

Blueberry Heart said...

its FAB!! Love it!!

BH x

BadPenny said...

Crolyn's work is stunning but this is very pretty Diane.

Jackie, Erik, Jake, Drew said...

How adorable is that?! I'm going to be very original and say I 'Love' it! As Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story would say 'you are indeed a good friend'. I just love that quote, I may have already used it before. Sorry?! xx

harmony and rosie said...

I know she will LOVE it! Wow!!!

noelle said...

ooh i REALLY like that! What a lovely present, she'll love it !!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

That is a gorgeous creation, well done!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

a lovely heart Diane ... your friend will treasure all the love that has gone into it x