Sunday 27 February 2011

Recycle it to me.

On the crafting front, I have been dabbling, with a few ideas for Easter Cards. My lovely bloggy friend Rosie sent me a bag of ribbons and buttons (amongst other things) which are coming in very handy - thank you Rosie.





I got together with a crafting friend (and her box of "stuff"!). She had been inspired to have a go at the hearts that I have been making and she had made a fabulous "Flower Fairy" one - she left me some fabric so that I could have a go myself. This is my attempt which I love, but hers was much nicer.


And I have made a simple heart for the kitchen - here's the front....



..and here's the back.


You only need scraps to embellish the hearts, and I was running out of "lovely bits". I had a brain wave. I emailed a local dress maker who has a very high end bridal/evening wear shop. Did she have any scraps? She emailed me straight back saying she would fill me a bag. So I called in, and she had an enormous bag full of lovely silks, satins, lace, ribbon, velvets, brocade etc waiting for me. And the best bit was she didn't want anything for them!


And so I am now saving the planet - one heart at a time.
I'll show you what I made later.

18 comments:

Louise said...

What a good idea to ask a bridal shop for scraps! I look forward to seeing you creations.

Selfsewn said...

Ooh how very crafty Diane!!!

Carol said...

Lovely hearts, I do like the longer style and you make them look so pretty.
What a good idea to contact the bridal shop and how generous of the owner to give them to you (and very "green")
Carol xx

Beki said...

I really am loving your hearts and your little Easter designd are fab!

B xxx

Vintage Tea Time said...

'Saving the planet - one heart at a time' - Love it!! - your ready-made slogan for your online shop?! Lovely hearts - I really like them. Great idea about the bridal shop scraps - well done! I'm doing a little giveaway, if you want to check it out. Abby x

Diane said...

What a great idea I wonder if our local materail shop has any scraps floating about. No bridal shops near here! Love that ribbon. Diane

cieldequimper said...

You could open up shop!

The sewing room said...

How lovely your hearts are and even more special because they are recycled,you are indeed very crafty.



Hugs Pat.

Lyn said...

what a great idea Diane, and I think you had better open up a Heart Shaped Shop!
love
Lyn
xxx

Lx @ Twelve said...

Diane,

You are crafty in more ways than one!!

Brilliant idea & having the balls to go through with it!

Lx

Jo said...

I love the flower fairy heart, so pretty. What a great idea asking a bridal shop for scraps.

**Anne** said...

Your craft work is gorgeous, those hearts, WOW. I love how you were able to get some scraps from a bridal shop and the recycling, no waste thing has be jumping for joy. FANTASTIC.
Happy crafting,
Anne xx

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Clever girl you are! Love the hearts, and can't wait to see what you do with the "scraps" of lovely textiles!

Rowan said...

It was a brilliant idea to contact the bridal shop, the scraps from there will be really pretty. I see a new career path opening up for you here:)

Rosie said...

Your hearts are so pretty and what a good idea to get scraps from a bridal shop.Nice to see Mum's lace being used:)

diane b said...

It must have been like getting a Christmas present. I'm sure you will turn the scraps into something beautiful.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Loving your recycling idea! Fantastic !

Deborah said...

What a great idea asking for scraps! clever you.

Bee happy x