Saturday 25 February 2012

Lulled - into a false sense of security.

Like the birds and plants in my garden, Today I was lulled into a false sense of security by the incredible mild weather we have had over the last few days. So today hubby and I set off on our walk with thinner coats, not hats or gloves, only to find that the very strong wind was blowing straight from the polar ice caps!

I couldn't believe this when we walked passed the camp site on the farm - I can't wait to get my tent back out, but I cannot imagine how cold it must be at night in a tent in February in Derbyshire!
We walked up through the lanes from Great Longstone,

and over the moors and fields.
The skies were amazing.

We reached our half way point in Little Longstone. Pub lunch in the Packhorse is always gorgeous. Steak and chips with the most wonderful Bernaise sauce. I am a very saucy person and hubby let me have his too.
We usually sit outside, but today the open fire proved too inviting.

After our walk, we took ourselves off to Bakewell. We parked near the old Sheepwash bridge and walked into town - which was very busy!
The river was full of birds and the most enormous trout!

Bakewell has fabulous houses of every style from grand old town houses, where Mr Darcy would have come calling...
to tiny but very sweet cottages.

We walked up the hill to the churchyard for a better view of the town.

Its great to be able to get out and about a bit more at weekends, the days are getting noticeably longer - Hurray!!!!!

21 comments:

two bones and a bagle said...

It was cold on the coast too but I did have my vest on! I like your saucy comment it made me lol.

Louise said...

lovely photos :)

I didn't go out anywhere today, the cold wind put me off because I hate windy weather but also the lack of Dave put me off too!

I love a visit to Bakewell, we often end up there.

I don't know if you'll remember, but a while ago we had a comment-conversation about one of your favourite pubs and I said I had never been but it sounded good. You said they did very good desserts and the prices were very reasonable - do you remember which pub??!! I know it was a while ago, but I was thinking about it a few days ago and just can't remember the name of it, or even where it was!

Kathy said...

We love Bakewell too. We always end up there when we go over to stay at Chatsworth. It's still very chilly here. After a very warm Thursday it was quite disappointing!
Your saucy comment made me laugh!
xxx

greenthumb said...

What a lovely place for a walk, just so pretty.

Lisa said...

All that lovely blue sky, though the white cloud was an unusual shape. Love the sign outside the pub. I would love to go to Bakewell one day.
Lisa x

Patricia said...

What a lovely walk and wonderful photos particularly the ones the clouds. Went to Bakewell many years ago and loved it.

Lynn Holland said...

Lovely to see the little snowdrops. A sign of spring on it's way.
Lynn

June said...

The sunshine deceives us into thinking its warmer than it actually is! Went to Bakewell many years ago - your photos brought back good memories!
June

Lyn said...

Hubby laughed at me when I grabbed my scarf, hat and gloves when we left this morning....I laughed at him when he complained he was cold!!!
I can't ever remember going to Bakewell, it looks like a very pretty village.
xxx

Little Blue Mouse said...

What a very welcoming sign on the pub!

It's lovely to have the days getting longer now isn't it?

helen tilston said...

What a delightful and action packed day you had. I love days such as this.
You live in a beautiful place
Helenx

Riddlers cottage flowers said...

Pleased you had a lovely time.x

Elderberry-Rob said...

you live in a lovely part of the world. I don't think I would like a tent at this time of the year! but expect those people are made of toughter stuff and are snug in their sleeping bags, waking to the most beautiful countryside early in the morning probably makes it all worthwhile!

Rowan said...

It's lovely around Bakewell and Great Longstone isn't it? That cold wind was a surprise to me too when I went up on Blackamoor.

diane b said...

You go on the most interesting and picturesque walks.

Victoria said...

I've got some similar pics of Bakewell. It's such a great place.

topchelseagirl said...

Perhaps they were protestors lol.

Jo said...

I'm sure the fire in the pub was very welcome, just the thing to warm you up.

made-and-found said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely walk,Diane- and thanks for your kind and comforting words.
Anne x

Jewel said...

My fiance was in Bakewell today! He brought me back a Bakewell tart! xx

Rosie said...

How did I manage to miss this post? Super photos of your walk - love the snowdrops against the wall. I like walking up to the church and museum up there on the hill and looking out over the town:)