Saturday 11 February 2012

Sheffield by night

So whilst you were all sensibly tucked up at home last night, the DQ and I were strolling around a very FREEZING (-6degrees!!!) Sheffield city centre. We had tickets to see Electro Kif at the Lyceum Theatre and we also treated ourselves to "theatre tea out". On our way from car to theatre, I thought I would take a few evening snaps.


Not quite Paris, and definitely no takers for an outside seat this evening!
In the city centre we illuminate our very modern buildings,
and some of our lovely older buildings too.
Two of the many city theatres sit side by side. The Crucible theatre built in 1971 and the Lyceum built in 1897 - refurbished in 1991. Two of the finest theatres in England in my opinion. My other favourites are the Minack in Cornwall and the Grand in Leeds.

It was so cold that instead of a "drink" in the bar, we both had a nice cup of tea!

17 comments:

Miss Holly said...

Brrrrrrrrrr....we are actually getting are second snow of the whole winter....the first flakes are just falling!!! I am really looking forward to a day of snow!! May have to bake!! So ..how was the show? I looked it up...and it looked like it was going to be great!!!

Kathy said...

I still haven't been to Sheffield. It looks lovely all lit up!
xxx

Jewel said...

What lovely pictures! Hope you had a fantastic evening! xx

Carol said...

It looks lovely but I prefer to see it in your photos than in -6C.
It was -5 here when DH went for the papers at 6.30 but it has got up to about +2. Hope the picnic is going well and you haven't frozen.
Carol xx

BadPenny said...

Brrrrrrruuuhhh !!! chilly

Jan said...

Lovely pictures. Hope that you had a great evening! Jx

Blueberry Heart said...

great photees as usual! The first two remind me of a stack of pancakes! Mmmmm....pancakes....oh I need sugar now....

BH x

Purrfect Haven said...

.. well a cup of tea sounds good to me. Thanks for the tour that I enjoyed from inside :-) Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

Rosie said...

Wonderful photos, Diane. Hope you had a great time:)

greenthumb said...

Lovely photos, nice to see your city by night.

Lyn said...

great photos of that beautiful city. and a nice cup of tea...perfect!
xxx

A garden just outside Venice said...

Well done you for choosing a healthy cup of tea!
Your alcoholic Italian friend xxxxxxx

Jo said...

I think cities always look so different at night. Hope you had a great evening even though it was so cold. I've tagged you, please see my blog for details. I hope you accept.

Young at Heart said...

oh you do paint a pretty picture.....stay warm!!

lazylol said...

You are very brave venturing out in this weather!

Rowan said...

Hope you enjoyed the show. The city centre looks decidedly empty in your photos but it does look really nice:) It wasn't a night for lingering outside though was it?.

menopausalmusing said...

What an absolutely stunning set of photos........... You "sell" Sheffield.