Sunday 12 February 2012

Save Sheffield Culture

This is how we riot in Sheffield when we are not happy with the big wigs when they decide to spend almost all of the allocation of the regional Arts Council funding in Leeds and allocate none to us in Sheffield.

We gather in the Millenium Galleries and make protest bunting and hang it out for all to see.
We gather together on picnic rugs and share our butties and cake.
And sing along with the Everly Pregnant Brothers (clean version of songs - because there are children present!) - I think all the kids will be singing "No Oven No Pie" tomorrow! And we all coloured in a huge poster too.
Many thanks to Pete Mckee and his team for organising such a perfect and quite moving Sunday event - I hope the message gets through loud and clear. And if you click HERE - see if you can spot me - "Where's Wally" style on the museum's facebook pages.

We also popped in to see the latest display in the galleries which feature a Hockney, a Tracey Emin piece and much much more and makes you think long and hard about what "Family" means to different people. Catch it if you can.

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for popping in and posting about this! I looked out for you today but didn't catch you.... probably best as I have the plague! All of the staff were so pleased at how well it went today so thank you!
xxxx

Diane said...

Hope this has some effect! At least you are trying. t'other Diane

John Going Gently said...

well done that woman..... the millenium museum is one of the flagships of culture in sheffield.. I absolutely love the place......
Is there anything ex pats like me can do?????

Carol said...

Hope it makes a difference. Well done to you and all the protesters.
I can 'see you' in the photo!
Carol xx

Mister D said...

Well done to all involved I came through about 3pm it was still going strong Pete McKee is a great guy we talked about music and visual art - lovely post

lazylol said...

Hope your protest worked :)

Gilly said...

Well done you! And all the others.

And that poster really made me laugh - until I realised I was wearing an identical blue jumper to the woman's! Hope my family is a bit more loosened up!!

Rosie said...

Great stuff! Well done all of you, looks like you made your feelings known to the powers that be I hope they listen! I spotted you on the link photo:)

Anonymous said...

It sounds just marvellous, I really hope that you are all successful in your endeavour.

Jewel said...

That sounds like my kind of protest! I really hope they do listen! x

Jo said...

Hope the powers that be sit up and listen.

JohnD said...

Bureaucracy is a 'boil on the bum' of communities.

Well done on your 'sit in' - I support peaceful demonstrations that drive home community discontent with those in public administration.

JohnD - reading this on the Southern Tablelands, NSW, Australia.

Lisa said...

I must look up the PEB they sound interesting!
Glad all went well, hope those in the know pay attention.
I spotted you straight away!