Wednesday 24 June 2009

Fast Food

I am having to work until 5.30pm every day this week due to my colleague being on holiday (I usually finish at 3pm - a much more refined finish time that allows me to have a life too!!). Its such a beautiful evening, and I didnt want to be slaving over a hot stove, so I reached for one of my fridge stand by's - Hallumi Cheese. Hallumi Cheese tastes like rubber - until you slice it, coat it in seasoned flour and fry it quickly in a little olive oil until it has a crust on it. Delicious! The whole thing took less than 10 minutes to prepare and that included picking the lettuce from the garden and make a vinegrette dressing. It would have taken longer to queue in Macdonalds!!

Gilly - in answer to your question about the bees, it would seem that all the bees in the UK can now be found in South Yorkshire! Both my mum and I were only commenting on Friday evening about the increased number of bees we have in the garden.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Down here in Sussex the university have recently appointed a professor of bees (or rather Apiculture). Apparently he's the only one in England! Perhaps he'll be heading your way for some research.

Lx @ Twelve said...

Yum! I'm coming to your house for tea - I'll bring the pear cider....

I hope you don't mind, but I picked up a Pete McKee bag for you today - been in Sheffield at the Cavendish Centre, & he has donated a design to help raise funds... Saw it & thought of you.....

Could you email me?

Love Lydia xx

Lisa said...

I love cheese, that's one food stuff I'm not too picky about.
All looks very tasty and v healthy.
Lisa x

Summer by the sea said...

Your tea looks delicious and very healthy, I definitely think you've exceeded your 5 a day today! - Natalie x

Selfsewn said...

Mmm looks yum!

We are off to Cornwall again in the van, for a week on Sunday!!!! No st Ives this time, you can have too much of a good thing! We shall be cycling the camel trail.
Clare x

Michela said...

Hi Diane!
It looks so inviting!
Did you read my comment about freebies?
The postman is ready to leave for England...
Have a great day!

Gilly said...

Good quick supper!

Well, send some of those bees back!!!

Caroline said...

Diane,

That looks completely delicious! I have never quite seen eye to eye with halloumi cheese, but you inspired me to try again.

Can you send me some of your bees?

JuliaB said...

I love Halloumi too! Never tried it tossed in flour so must do that soon! x

lesley said...

Hello Diane,
Our son introduced us to Halloumi cheese at his house last year, I will have to try it in flour...& I'll pass this on to him :0) I'm going to pass your blog on to our Oz cousins too, they've been staying with us this week...& are serious foodies!

Lazylol said...

Ooo I haven't had any halloumi for ages - will have to get some and try cooking it your way. It looks totally yummy!

Rowan said...

That looks just delicious, perfect for a summer day. I have to agree about the bees, my garden is full of them too - all shapes and sizes. They seem especially keen on the sage and the goats beard, you can here a constant hum as you walk by. A lovely summery sound.