Saturday 13 November 2010

The Nutcracker

I splashed out on two tickets to see the Northern Ballet's version of The Nutcracker for the dancing queen and I. We both needed and deserved a treat.
She finally arrived in Sheffield after a trauma involving a bus that didn't arrive and a taxi dash across Leeds to catch a packed train. To say that we were both highly stressed when we met up is an understatement! However, on wandering into the newly refurbished Tudor Square in Sheffield, we were instantly revived and relaxed. It looks really pretty lit up.

This is where Sheffield's "theatre land" sits. (The photos are blurred as I was being rushed - she needed the loo).
There are a couple of lovely bars and restaurants here now too - well away from the serious drinking part of town. The square has a really lovely atmosphere.

The Iconic Crucible Theatre (also newly refurbished) is here



Along with the traditional and very beautiful Lyceum Theatre - our destination for the evening.

The Northern Ballet (who's home is in Leeds) is a brilliant ballet company. An evening in their company is always a real treat and The Nutcracker didn't disappoint. Brilliantly timed to get
me in the mood to seriously consider Christmas preparations, the dancing was delightful, the music marvellous, the costumes stunning and the whole spectacle was worth every penny.

If you can catch it over the festive season - do.

16 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds like a brilliant evening out. I know some of the musicians in the orchestra and I know they'd be chuffed that you enjoyed it so much. It looks very smart and swanky too, you can really enjoy being a culture vulture with all that going on in Sheffield x

cieldequimper said...

Blurred or not, I like all the colours, so bright. What a great evening after so much stress (including needind the loo! :-))

jennyfreckles said...

Sounds like you had a lovely evening. Your photos nicely suggest the atmosphere in town at night. I love going to the ballet - pity it's so expensive. But it's a good girly treat.

WinnibriggsHouse said...

I so, so envy you. I think I will have to treat my DD after Christmas as she too was a 'Dancing queen' literally for several years and I think with her busy business and family misses that part of her life quite a lot. A new year treat I think.

Rosie said...

How lovely - the photos give a sense the atmosphere around the theatre and look quite festive too - glad you both relaxed and had a great time:)

Jennyff said...

The Nutcracker is so Christmassy, better than any panto, Mr FF and I are both big fans. I'm glad you enjoyed your treat.

harmony and rosie said...

Good to hear that blogging takes priority over your daughter's needs, Diane - that's a girl! I haven't been to the ballet in years, what a fantastic night to get you in the festive mood.

xox

John Going Gently said...

Ah
the NORTHERn BALLET
quite quite wonderful!
I have been a fan of theirs for years.....
as for the theatres in sheffield... one of my best friends is John Highfield ( fomer showbiz writer for the STAR)
we used to go and see EVERYTHING)
AH MEMORIES

topchelseagirl said...

They were in Norwich a week ago but I had no-one to go with :( Glad you enjoyed it. x

Lisa said...

Never been to the ballet, but I'm so glad you both enjoyed your evening.... in the end!
Hope you both enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Lisa x

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Hi Diane
Just popped by to say thanks for the comment...but I did have to pay for the new coat myself....and I will be really, really good now!
Jenny x

Nearly there Claire said...

Oh I'm sooooo jealous! x

P.S. I too nearly ALWAYS need a wee! ;o)

Twiggy said...

Glad you had fun, I'm so jealous!! The only ballet I've seen is Swan Lake years ago, I went with my Mother in Law and blubbed my eyes out, it was so beautiful. Good job it was dark :)
twiggy x

BadPenny said...

Fabulous - Mum used to treat me & all her grandchildren to see The Nutcracker & other ballets.
One day, I'd love to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.

A garden just outside Venice said...

I'd love to have an evening out like that once in my life! Wow! Well done posh Diane!
xxxxx

Rowan said...

Glad you enjoyed The Nutcracker after the fraught beginning. I love The Lyceum and have seen The Nutcracker there a couple of times. It's the perfect ballet for Christmas and both times it's been around Christmas when I've seen it.