Wednesday 24 November 2010

Sunday Morning

Our walk on Sunday took us to Wentworth as we didnt want to travel too far.

What is it about Brass Bands? - I have a Love/Hate relationship with them. I love them because they truly are the sound of the north - especially Yorkshire. They sound wonderful . But I hate them when they reduce me to tears in crowded places - which they regularly do. I was OK with "Jingle Bells" but "In the bleak mid winter" had me blubbing!



Santa had arrived in a blaze of Glory the previous week.


He had a small queue, but I think he will get a lot more popular.

The deli is gaily dec'd - I noted that they do some brilliant local cheeses now - so i'll be popping them on my shopping list for Christmas.
We took a wander down the church path.

Whilst it may be cold now - I know it won't be long until the daffodils are lining the path.

The Estate office is having a facelift - i'll show you this when its done. I once applied for a job here but didnt get it. When I spoke to the secretary afterwards, she said that they didnt think I would stay as it was quite a lot less pay - but I so would have.


One of the reasons I wanted the job, was that you get to live in the village if you want. There are a couple of houses that I would love to live in - especially at this time of year. I also love the history of the Estate and the Fitzwilliams.


I'd love a look inside here. It is still lived in. There are two like this in the village. I don't think that they ever were windmills - but I may be wrong.

It was lovely to wander through the lanes. It can get a bit busy in the centre of the village - especially at this time of year, but the lanes around the edges can still feel miles away from anywhere.

13 comments:

Diane said...

What a lovely post. I am looking forward to seeing that road up to the church full of daffodils. Diane

VintageVicki said...

As a wife/mother of brass players, I have a love / hate thing of them too. Love the sound and some of the engagements I get to accompany them too. However I hate it when the band comes first on days out etc.

First proper christmas events for MrVV & Little son this weekend.

Rowan said...

I've always loved brass bands and I agree that there's something about them that affects your emotions. I'm impressed that the young man on the tuba(?)can manage to play with gloves on!
I really must come out and see Wentworth in the Spring, it looks so lovely and full of interest, I'm not surprised that you wanted to work there. Is that a witches broom in the tree photo?

A garden just outside Venice said...

Such a shame that they didn't give you that job!
xxxx

Rosie said...

It all looks so lovely and festive - I bet the drive up to the church looks wondeful in Spring. What a shame about the job you would have been so right for it with your local knowledge and love of the village and estate. In the Bleak Midwinter is one of my favourite carols it is very moving:)

Jane Housham said...

Oh the second you mentioned 'In the Deep Midwinter' I swear I heard a brass band playing it in my head and I almost teared up myself. I'm a complete sucker for brass bands (had one at my wedding!).
Lovely photos.

Kathy said...

In the Bleak Midwinter moves me to tears every time too. It's quite haunting ! Pity about that job .. I think you would have been perfect for it!
Love Kathy xxx

topchelseagirl said...

Such a shame you didn't get that job. Don't they know how much you love & know about the place. You would've been the perfect employee.

menopausalmusing said...

Such a haunting piece of music, "In The Bleak Midwinter"...... must have been beautiful played by a brass band. I would love to be let loose in that deli!

Louise said...

Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you emjoyed my blog and decided to join! I've been following yours for a couple of weeks for the same reasons! My blog has been neglected this month as I haven't had a great deal to write about, but I do plan to update it soon!

Wentworth looks like a lovely place to visit, I must make a mental note to do so one day! I have enjoyed the photos from this post and the previous ones!

Louise

BadPenny said...

I do like these walks with you. I used to be reduced to tears singing Carols at the school Christmas Church service.

Funny when you hear why you didn't get a job ... I went for one in a library when I was in my twenties. Evidently I'd said I was looking forward to reading stories at story hour to the children and I didn't show enough interest in the rest of the library work !!!!

The deli looks lovely.

Lisa said...

That deli looks well worth a browse!
Lovely building in the village, very unusual.I'm sure if anyone can find out about them it's you!
I'd visit Santa in that little grotto, the reindeer are so cute.
Lisa x

elsy said...

thanks to you sheffield is the top of my list diane and it would be fab to meet at last but to be honest what ever she gets will be great and a relief. how is the DQ getting on?