Friday 26 November 2010

Sheffield Christmas Lights

After we had dropped the DQ off at the station on Sunday evening, we decided to go and have a look at the Christmas lights that had just been switched on in Sheffield. We had missed the big switch on (by Joe McElderry I believe), but the German Market was still in full swing in the Peace Gardens. There cannot be a single market trader left in Germany as every northern town and city seems to have a German market on at the moment!
And people were still skating on the ice rink.

My favourite tree is the one in Tudor Square - just outside of the Millennium Galleries. Its lovely.




And the more traditional tree outside of the town hall is magnificent too.

We like to welcome you to Sheffield - whatever your creed. I always think that this is a lovely touch as many nationalities and faiths now make the city their home.

The lights in Barkers pool are simple but effective.

And the Christmas windows in John Lewis are suitably festive. The young man was so glad that they were closed!

I love what they have done with the columns of the city hall.

I'm going to go back on one of the late night shopping Wednesday's as it was such a lovely atmosphere - and John Lewis will be open then!

10 comments:

Diane said...

Mmmmmm that German market looks good. The lights are beautiful, I am sure Christmas gets earlier every year !! Diane

Rowan said...

Must go and look at the lights, I saw them putting the tree up in High St earlier this week. The market looked good too but I didn't have time to explore it so will have to make a special visit I think with no time constraints.

Liz said...

Ooh, I've come over all festive.

The Girl said...

Man those lights are impressive. Hull's been MASSIVELY hit because of the spending review - no German market this year and no 'celebrity' to switch our lights on. Thanks Mr Cameron.

John Going Gently said...

I always LOVE the city hall's decorations!!
am up in the city on the 4th..so cant wait to see the lights for myself
xx

Ray+Joan said...

loved the xmas tree all lite up, & those Germans they get every where (one lives next door to me)hes OK though.

Christy said...

Beautiful!! Seeing those first lights of the season always gives me goosebumps! You have inspired me - I think we'll have to go for a drive this weekend to soak up what is here (not as grand as what you've shown in this post - but still fun). I love, Love that tree with the balls of lights! Fabulous. :)

diane b said...

They are certainly getting into the celebrating spirit. The trees and lights are pretty. I can't get into the Christmas mood yet.

Lynne said...

I have a soft spot for Sheffield as I went to college there. It was always a friendly place.

noelle said...

Hi Diane, it all looks very festive! Haven't been to see any lights yet, will be going to Mousehole i'm sure!!!! We had a sprinkling of snow but its gone now!! Its sooooooo cold though! brrrrr keep warm and safe x x