Saturday 5 May 2012

D Day

If you've been hanging around with me for a while, you may remember THIS DAY back in 2010 when the boys beloved Sheffield Wednesday were relegated to a lower league.  We had tears and everything.  The young man remembers it being the worst day of his life.  Well today, Sheffield Wednesday have an opportunity to make amends.  The whole scenario is very complicated if you are not a footy fan, but basically, if they win today, they will automatically be promoted back up again. SO THEY NEED TO WIN! If they lose or draw, they go into a play off and whoever wins that play off gets promoted.

Now I have know Sheffield Wednesday long enough to know that their potential to disappoint is huge, so for me, its not over until the fat lady sings.
Today they are playing Wycombe who are being relegated this year.  They are only bringing about 200 fans, but as fans are segregated, this meant that thousands of seats would be empty and thousands of fans wouldn't be able to get to watch the match.  The solution has been to shove the Wycombe fans into a small corner and put some marshalls and space between the other 5000 seats that have now been sold to the Wednesday fans.  It highlighted the difference between male and female thinking when I offered my solution.  I thought that they should have given over the "Hospitality" suite to the poor relegated fans and let them have a bit of pleasure out if the day, releasing ALL of the   seats in the ground.

On top of all this, the other team in exactly the same position are local rivals Sheffield United.
Meanwhile, I'm hoping to occupy myself in the garden!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, I love reading your posts, but on this occasion I have to say COME ON YOU BLADES x (but I think the blue side of the city will be the ones smiling tonight)

Jo said...

Hope you get the result you want.

Jackie said...

Hope your house is celebrating in a few hours...xx

two bones and a bagle said...

Come on you Red and White Wizards! My Dad was a Blade therefore we are all Blades but the rest of his family 3 brothers and three sisters are Owls as was his Dad. When I asked him why he said it was because most of his mates were United fans and that actually he went to both Grounds to Hillsborough with his Dad and Brothers and Bramall Lane with his Mates. Lol Em has just asked what is making K so miserable I said 'Oh he's cold - been to car boot - and United are losing and Owls winning. Such fun.

Carol said...

Good luck Diane, sadly Rovers are already relegated boo hoo.
Carol xx

Ray+Joan said...

Enjoy your celebrations tonight.

Kathy said...

Congratulations .... they've done it! All smiles tonight in the Heartshaped house xxx

Anonymous said...

I have one very happy owl here, the first bottle of wine is nearly quaffed and he's chuckling away at owls talk thread.
I''m so relieved he doesn't have to go through the playoffs!

Lisa said...

They're going up!!!!
Hope there were lots of celebrations.
Lisa x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Well done guys!
What have you been up to in your lovely garden??? :)
xxxxx

BadPenny said...

Don't know anything about footie except that I heard on the local radio Southampton were doing well. With three brothers, the football dominated my teenage life so possibly why I married a sailor ( who watches rugby ! )

Hope it went well !

lazylol said...

Woohoo - up the Owls x