Sunday 20 May 2012

He writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

And so on Saturday morning my sister and I boarded a train and travelled across the Pennines to Manchester.  We checked into our very swish boutique hotel, and then hit the town for a spot of sight seeing, shopping and lunch.

 You cannot beat a decent northern Town Hall for architectural Splendour.  They rival any Cathedral in England or France.
 They were built when northern towns and cities were showing off there prosperity.

 Although it was a grey day, we were thankful that there was no rain!
We decided to wander through Harvey Nics, where we stroked Jimmy Choo and Laboutin shoes, but had more real interest in the cafe!
The tasting boxes were indeed incredibly tasty
 And I think a bottle of Prosecco on a Saturday afternoon might become "a thing"!!
 Cheers!!  I must be tiddly to post a photo of myself!
 All too soon it was time to dash back to the hotel via the very Disneyesque Printworks
 Where the bunting is hung in profusion.
 After a quick freshen up and into our glad rags, we hot footed it to Manchester Arena
 Where with several hundred other "Fanilows" we sung and danced and cried our eyes out with the lovely lovely man himself..

 (Barry Manilow Michela - you may have to ask your Mum!)  We had great seats, but we were up and dancing with every one else.  He was just magic.
 You know that when I was 15, I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg under my pillow at night - just to hear "Mandy".  I also used to buy all his LP's as soon as they came out and rush home to play them over and over again until I had learned all the words.  I knew every word of every song he sang and I sang my heart out.  Thank you Barry for making me feel like a fifteen year old girl again.  And he said that he would be back, so it may not have been our last time together after all.
 And then on the way back to our hotel, who should we bump into but the Queen of England!
A totally and utterly brilliant night all together - and I reckon I shall be annoying everyone this week by singing my Manilow repertoire! And Lydia - who are "Take That"?

23 comments:

A garden just outside Venice said...

Why should I bother my mum when I can ask to Youtube???LOL!
Anyway I know this song...remember I'm not so young :)
Glad you had a great time!
xxxxx

Diane said...

Oh yes I remember Mandy so well. What a great time out you had and I am pleased the weather stayed clear for you.

Thanks so much for you kind thoughts and condolences, much appreciated. T'other Diane

Simone said...

Wonderful! Your joy speaks volumes through the words and pictures! x

Ray+Joan said...

Glad to hear you both had a great time in Manchester, good photo of you, you should have had one with the 2 of you together.
Not a big fan of your old flame but would have been up dancing with you all, glad you enjoyed him.

BadPenny said...

The Queen looks a little animated ( had she sneaked in to see Barry ? )
Glad you had a lovely time with happy memories flooding back x

Jackie said...

Oh Diane, it sounds like a lovely time! I can relate to listiening under the covers though I was more of a David Cassidy / Slade fan! Would be interested to hear where you stayed as we are going to Manchester soon to collect youngest daughter with all her clobber.

I wanted to blog from here in Portugal but am really struggling with Blogger on the iPad so may have to leave until later!

Anne said...

Hi Diane, I have just blog hopped and have to tell you we were there too!! And we stayed overnight, not a posh hotel though-premier inn, but within walking distance.Wasnt Barry just fabulous? We had the most brilliant time and even my husband said he was a fantastic performer.I thought his voice was as good as it has ever been.A fab night was had by all methinks!

Jo said...

Glad you had a wonderful time, Diane. I have to say that I find Barry a little cheesy and not to my taste, but I can't fault his song writing abilities, he's written some crackers.

elaine said...

Sounds like you had a great time - would have loved to have been with you especially if he sang my favourite (except I can't remember what it's called now) - oh dear, another sign of age.

Kathy said...

Wow, a night out with Barry and a stop over in a posh hotel too! What joy!!!! Looks like you had a great time singing and dancing like a 15 year old!
Radio Luxembourg .... now there's a blast from the past!
xxx

Lyn said...

so it was Bazza!
Barry Manilow and the Queen all in one night...super!
xxx

Vintage Be Beau said...

Love the pics....you look great..."Tiddly"....and Mrs M....wash your mouth out with the "Take That" comment...how very dare you!
I used to listen to radio luxembourg under the covers too!!

Lisa said...

Glad to see you had a wonderful night with Barry! Looks like a brilliant weekend all round with all you did.
They certainly know how to go to town with the bunting in Manchester!
Lisa x

Rosie said...

What a super weekend you have had with your hero. I've been humming 'Could it be Magic' since reading your last post! I used to listen to Radio Luxemburg and Radio Caroline under the bed clothes to dampen the sound. Glad you had a great time:)

Rowan said...

Sounds as though byou had a really good time:) I was never that bothered about Barry Manilow until he came to Sheffield Arena quite a few years ago. My American friend's son knew his sound man pretty well and arranged for me to have two tickets right near the front so I went with my friend and was converted - he's a really good showman and has a lovely sense of humour too.

ChrisJ said...

I like Barry Manilow too. In fact the only music my husband has on his new iPhone is Barry Manilow, so that speaks volumes. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Sharon said...

We saw him on the first night at the O2 - he was phenomenal - his voice is so wonderful even at 68! Glad you enjoyed it - I hope you waved your glow stick!

Carol said...

Glad you had such a good time and that the 'Man' hasn't lost his magic.
Carol xx

Lindy in Brisbane said...

You brought back some good memories. I too was in love with Barry when I was a teenager. Nose and all.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely photos - interesting as always Diane and a lovely pic of you too! What a wonderful experience - hope this weekend is a nice one. Lesley x

Little Blue Mouse said...

I'm just catching up as I'm way behind with my blog reading.
It seems you've been having lots of fun lately with the basketball and Tango and now Barry Manilow!
I listened to radio Luxembourg under the covers too; in fact I was only thinking about that the other day when I tested some perfume and it reminded me of Aqua Manda. Do you remember all the adverts on radio Luxemburg? Cedarwood, Hi Karate and Aqua Manda.

Selfsewn said...

Ahh Bazza!!!!!
How intimate it looks, I'd have danced with you Di!!

noelle said...

Hahaha no comment!!!!!!!!!! x