Thursday 17 May 2012

Wendy Capri

Back in the early 1980's when I worked in the "proper office", we used to spend our lunch breaks busy knitting away.  If you came to work with us and you couldn't knit, you could by the time you left!  We found a fabulous and cheap supply of knitting cotton on Barnsley market - 2 lovely sisters who bought sub standard Wendy Wools from a local factory (when we used to have them!).  I would be despatched on Saturday mornings to bulk buy, and the divi up the wool on Monday morning - I knew how to motivate the girls!.

One of my colleagues wrote a fab pattern.  It was basically 2 pieces and you knitted the pieces up according to your preference, either 2 slash necks, 2 v necks (so you got a very lovely V back as well) or one of each.  Sleeves were added later when we knitted in mohair for winter.
We would start clicking the needles on Monday lunchtime and by Friday night we would have a new top to go out in!
I loved them, they were fabulous and cost around £1 to make at the time.  Oh those were the days. x

16 comments:

Ray+Joan said...

loved the 2 jumpers, you still could knit them today & sell them on your stall for charity, only the wool may cost a bit more then a £

Victoria said...

I love this post!

I knit and cross stitch on my lunch break, sometimes in the kitchen at work, and people look at me as though I'm covered in scales!

I'd love to work with you lot back then :)

x

menopausalmusing said...

Don't you look gorgeous in those photos! That is you, isn't it? I loved Victoria's comment re people looking at her as though she was covered in scales, it made me laugh out loud. I know exactly what she meant and am sure you do too!
I am playing catch up with you and also want to say how wonderful your day out dancing looked and what a setting to do it in!!!!

Carol said...

Lovely photos, happy times, fab jumpers!
Carol xx

A garden just outside Venice said...

It took ages to my mum for knitting me a jumper when I was a child..I think she has still got some work in progress hidden somewhere, LOL!
You were and still are a beautiful young lady!
xxxx

greenthumb said...

I can't knit wish i had worked with you .

Jo said...

I remember knitting those type of cotton tops when I was in my teens, they were all the rage. I stopped knitting for over twenty years, but picked my needles back up a couple of years ago and I'm really enjoying being back at it.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Gosh, the fashions in those photos brought back a few memories! I remember when everyone in our office had a hand knit "mohair" cardigan - they were all the rage!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

harmony and rosie said...

Oh cool, love those photos. I bet you didn't get much work done though!

Jackie said...

What a great story and I love the photos xxx

Anonymous said...

Those were the days, cheap yarns and knitting companions.

Simone said...

You look great 'back in the day'! You still do too! x

Lyn said...

great post...you ain't changed missus!
xxx

elaine said...

In those days we all used to knit and make our own clothes we were all very individual - shame we don't have the inclination to do it any more.

Lisa said...

Loved the photos of you in your tops, you look wonderful, still do Mrs!
Lisa x

lazylol said...

Ah this brings back memories, I used to own a few similar tops, knitted by my Gran. I used to sew clothes but the only thing I ever knit are scarves. I should have worked in your office!