Saturday 12 May 2012

Through a Fish Eye Lens

These are some of the photos that the Dancing Queen took on our night out (previous post) with her new Fish Eye Lens - I thought I would share.
In Sheffield, our trees are not green enough, and so at night we light them up green.

 You may or may not know that we have a fab tram system.
 Waiting for the proceedings to start!
 Escaping from the proceedings!
 Caught window shopping!  My family have an uncanny knack of getting me to the shops just as they close!
 I love this one.
 And this one too.
I think she had fun with her new lens - courtesy of ebay! (well she is my girl!)

For those that asked, the event was a "Pecha Kucha" event.  Speakers get to show 20 slides for 20 seconds each which is supposed to ensure that that the presentation is punchy and holds your interest.  Unfortunately on this occasion it didn't.  The event wasn't well organised.  It said on the ticket that it started at 7.30pm, but nothing happened until 8.30pm.  No one seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing. It was a shame as we had such high hopes for it.  The first speaker was from the Cathedral itself and what he had to say was intriguing, but he obviously hadn't rehearsed or timed his presentation (in fact none of them seemed to have).  However as my daughter pointed out - these were incredibly arty and creative people who don't normally do "organisation".  She was right.

19 comments:

Anna at the Doll House said...

Interesting perspectives with this lens. I think your portrait in the cathedral is a perfect composition: as well as the framing pillars there is the intriguing contrast between the old glass windows and the modern telephone display.

I notice that the event has not drawn a big audience.

Anna

Lisa said...

I have to say I agree with you about those last photos, they give such an unusual effect. Lots more fun to be had with that I'm sure. Such a shame that the event wasn't all you hoped but lovely for you and DQ to spend some time together.
Lisa x

Young at Heart said...

fab photos.....puts another perspective on things!!x

Jo said...

The new lens gives the photos a great effect, I think I like the last picture best. It's nice to be able to spend some time with your daughter.

Ray+Joan said...

Ray now wants one of those lens, he will have to wait for his next b/day.
Loved the city one.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Interesting views through the lens - very different.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

John Going Gently said...

REMINDS ME OF WHAT i KIND OF SAW AFTER TOO MANY WINES IN ALL BAR ONE LAST WEDNESDAY!!!

Lyn said...

What great photos...Hubby always gets ME to the shops as they are closing too!!!
xxx

Rowan said...

I've never heard of a fish eye lens before, it makes for some intriguing photos.

Rosie said...

No wonder you 'escaped' from such a disorganised event! The photos with the fish eye lens are wonderful - I've never heard of one of those before. I like the one of you inside the cathedral and you look as if you would love to get inside the shop whose window you are gazing into:)

Jackie said...

Fascinating effects on the photos!

I agree with your DQ that creative people are not always the best organisers - one of the worst talks I ever attended was given recently by a curator from the Hayward Gallery about what was a wonderfully creative and exciting series of events - the talk was the dullest thing I've ever heard, only helped by the wine!

A garden just outside Venice said...

Lovely pictures of you!!!
xxxx

BadPenny said...

smashing photos. I must visit Sheffield !!!

Paula said...

Hi Diane
I have nominated you for a couple of blogger awards. Please check out the details at my blog. www.needlecraftcorner.blogspot.com
Regards
Paula

Gilly said...

Love the photos! Great fun!

Even arty and creative people can, and should be, be organised - especially for a public event!

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Gilly said, every bit of it.

elaine said...

Certainly gives you a different perspective on things.

Elderberry-Rob said...

A fabulous lens, I would like to see landscape taken with it and water too. Shame the event wasn't organised well.

BadPenny said...

I like the one with the light spots too.