Sunday 27 May 2012

My little corner of the world

Today I was able to show off my lovely little corner of the world.  Rosie - one of my lovely bloggy friends that I have met up with before had expressed an interest in coming to see the village and big house in Wentworth - so I offered to play tour guide for the day.  Rosie and husband/chauffeur/expert Pizza maker  Paul arrived mid morning in the corner of the car park - as arranged.

 After a picnic start, we headed straight down to the big house.
 They were quite impressed by its size - but I explained that this was actually just the stable block!
 Just around the corner, tucked out of the way is the great house itself - Wentworth Woodhouse.
 I won't go into detail about it as I have brought you here many times before - but never on such a hot day!
 We ventured down to look at 2 of the 4 lakes,
 By this time we were getting extremely hot!
 After a walk back through the village, we found a cool refuge in the old church - which is now disused, but open on Sundays now throughout the summer.


 and then we wandered into the newer church



 Before heading back to the ornamental gardens at the garden centre.  Here's Rosie emerging from the bear pit!

 The light in the gardens was beautiful and lit up the gorgeous acer trees.



I had a wonderful day.  We walked and chatted and had ice cream, tea, enormous cream scones.  I think we took about a 1000 photographs between us! I hope you enjoyed it both of you, and I hope your arms are not too sore Rosie - they looked really red when you left!

17 comments:

Patricia said...

Oh it looks like you had a wonderful day and how lovely to have met up with a blogger friend. Your photos are absolutely stunning. Patricia x

Lisa said...

I bet you were a fab tour guide. Lovely to spend the day with a bloggy friend, especially the bit about the scones! The wisteria is beautiful.
Lisa x

Carol said...

Looks like you and your bloggy friend had a really lovely day. Carol xx

petals and vintage said...

Such a lovely place. Looks like an amazing day and to have scones and cream in the UK...heaven. Pam x

Rowan said...

What wonderful weather for you and Rosie to explore your home ground, I should think you needed plenty of ice cream to keep you cool:) Wentworth must have looked at its best in the sunshine.

greenthumb said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day out.

Rosie said...

Sore arm, aching feet but happy heart! Thank you so much for a wonderful day in your lovely 'corner of the world' - that was a huge cream scone!:)xx

two bones and a bagle said...

Looks like a lovely day. We are lucky to live in 'this little corner' I really do love it. Great City nearby and lots of green fields. I could go on and on. I know someone who was getting married at Wentworth Church on Saturday I bet it was marvelous. See you soon. Debs x

Jo said...

It sounds like a wonderful day out with your bloggy friend, such great weather for it too.

Young at Heart said...

ooh how utterly gorgeous....quite fancy a scone now!!

Gilly said...

A great place to take a great friend! And you do take such interesting photos!

BadPenny said...

What a super Blog date !

Simone said...

It looks like a great day and I like the sound of all the food breaks!!!x

Jackie said...

Great photos and it looks like a lovely day - calling Wentworth 'Woodhouse' is a little deceptive isn't it and doesn't really do it justice?! Makes you think of a little woodshed somewhere. Much better Netherwood! xx

Victoria said...

It looks like you had a great time. You got some lovely pics! x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Glad you both had fun together! You have to be a wonderful and amusing "cicerone"!
xxxx

Lyn said...

I'm jealous...wish I was there too!
love that union jack in the church window.
xxx