Wednesday 30 May 2012

Summer evenings

It's that time of year when I have to work extra hours to cover staff holidays - so I have managed to miss all of the great weather! I insisted on an evening stroll after work yesterday though, and I thought that Elsecar Park would be nice.


 Over the summer, they have local brass bands organised for the bandstand on Sunday's.  I will try and catch one of these.
 I also insisted that the teenagers joined me - they still moan if I extend the walk from my original plan, which I always do!  "How much further?" They often ask "Just around the next corner" I always reply!


 In olden days, it was called "Elsecar by the sea" as locals used to paddle in the reservoir before they were able to get to the coast.  They even built a couple of little beaches around it.  Its very popular with Anglers now.
 So, just around the corner we went.  Passed the Bun and Milk club - which I think was so called because they used to hand out food to poorer families.
 There are still quite a lot of very pretty miners cottages about.  Elsecar colliery was owned by the Fitzwilliams of Wentworth and were reputed to be good employers.  The cottages in Elsecar are much nicer than ones in other local ex mining villages.
 I've photographed this Clematis before, but it is so spectacular.  The folk who live in the house will be expecting me next year!
I hope you are managing to make the most of this lovely summer weather.

15 comments:

Lisa said...

It's good to get out in the warm light evenings isn't it. I took a stroll round the park with S and my mum last night, after a day in the office it's a good end to the day. The teenagers look like they had a good lark about!
Lisa x

Little Blue Mouse said...

It's been a bit too hot in the day for me (I know, I'm never satisfied!), but an evening walk is just the thing.

Young at Heart said...

oh how utterly lovely......keep being told it will thunder any minute but the sunshines on..... makes getting dressed each morning a little more complicated though!!

Rowan said...

What a shame that you've had to work through all the lovely weather, your walk looked nice and when it's hot it's pleasanter to walk in the evenings or the early morning.

diane b said...

While your days grow longer ours grow shorter. I found it hard when we first got back from a Californian Spring, with the longer days. Thanks for taking me on an evening walk. You are good to be able to get the teenagers to walk with you.

June said...

A lovely walk and what a great bandstand! Let's hope the warm weather last into the holidays next week!
June

Jo said...

What a shame you're missing the lovely weather, I'm just hoping that this isn't the extent of our summer. My own teenagers have to be 'persuaded' to join us on walks too.

HippieGirl said...

I love going for walks when the sun is beginning to go down. So beautiful. I do that, I'll go for a walk after dinner or whatever, and just enjoy the nice weather. Although lately we've been having chilly weather, hmm, wonder why? All I know is, I love evening walks, so calming, and if I take music with me on this walk, I make sure it's R&B, or Latin. Very soothing, very calming.

greenthumb said...

I love going for walks on a warm summer evening, looks like you do too.

Kathy said...

These long hot evenings are just perfect for a stroll. This week we've walked round the Marine Lake at West Kirby, and had fish and chips on the beach. .... and we do a lovely local walk every night with the dog. I could live like this forever!!!
xxx
p.s. well done for getting the teenagers out with you. I'd never get my boy to come along.

elaine said...

I hate being stuck indoors during the summer so I know what you are going through - but an evening stroll is perfect for unwinding, no rushing to keep warm or stuck in because of the rain. Perfect - I love summer evenings.

Rosie said...

There is nothing nicer than a summer evening's walk. We sat in the garden yesterday evening enjoying the cooler air:)

Jan said...

It's great to be able to get out and enjoy the warm evenings. Hope that you'll be able to take some time off later in the year and others will cover for you! Jx

A garden just outside Venice said...

too tired for enjoying the lovely weather we're having..bloody work!
LOL at the Clematis' owners :D
xxxxx

Lyn said...

we were in school during the nice weather and now we are off it's not stopped raining! Love those cottages Diane.
xxx