Sunday 29 August 2010

Re discovering old friends

When I was 13 years old, my "Home Economics" teacher - Mrs Mannion (or Fanny Mannion as we called her) introduced me to Good Housekeeping Magazine and I was instantly hooked. It was full of exotic recipes that I couldn't wait to try. You have to realise that what passed for exotic food in our house at that time was a Vesta Chow Mein (we all sat and watched as the dried prawns swelled up to normal size when you added the water!). Any way, Fanny Mannion fed my habit for the next 3 years, and then I had to buy my own copy when I left school. Once I married, I treated myself to a subscription for a few years, but then when I needed to "tighten my belt" I cancelled this, and only periodically bought a copy after that. However, whilst looking for some light holiday reading matter, I decided to purchase this months copy and really enjoyed it. Also - whilst searching for a light summer fragrance, I was delighted to stumble across one of my grans old favourite perfumes - 4711 Eau de Cologne. I didn't realise they still made it! It has been perfect for summer.



It feels as if I have stumbled upon two old friends.
Edited to add - I just read that Holly Golightly uses this perfume in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" - and I bought it in Boots the Chemist.

12 comments:

Beki said...

I have flicked through good housekeeping a few times but never bought (yes I'm a secret supermarket reader 'hehe'). I may have to give it a go now though!
Love the perfume bottle, sometimes the oldies really are the best!

B xxx

BadPenny said...

4711 takes me back ! Our home economics & needlework teachers were very " old school " no messing in their class.
I nearly bought Country Living yesterday - but as a very nice assisant helped pack our supermarket shop, I had time to flick through it !

menopausalmusing said...

Ye Gods! 4711 was a blast from the pasty. What a lovely colourful photo it made though........ Love your sunflowers on previous post and laughed my head off at the post re Asda campaign and your ideal holiday. (Yes, I am playing "catchup" with blogs today.... :O)))))))

Lyn said...

Gosh you knew how to live it up in your house-watching prawns swell-the entertainment! Do you know I think they still do Vesta Meals!
I love magazines and buy too many but they are so naughty and MAKE you slip them into the trolley!
love
Lyn
xxx

topchelseagirl said...

I didn't know they still made 4711 either! That takes me back. I know what you mean about 'exotic' foods. I remember the first time I had ravioli - my parents thought I was really adventurous!!

Sue said...

Do they really still make 4711? That really does take me back!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I don't think 4711 is available here in the US, but I do love my Good Housekeeping! Southern Living is another of my favorites, although the last copy I bought was in an airport when my flight was delayed.

Old favorites...nothing like 'em!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Oooops! Sorry I let myself get distracted the the magazines.

Back to 4711...the bottle is terrific, and looks like soemthing I need in my guest room on my little wash stand. I might have to look online to see if I can find some!

Anyway...thanks again!

Rosie said...

Brings back memories for me too! My Mum always had a bottle of 4711 on her dressing table and I used to buy her a subscription to Good Housekeeping for her birthday each year - of course I used to have them when she had finished and then they were passed on to an Auntie:)

Kathy said...

I didn't do Home Economics at school ... I had to do Latin instead!!! I ask you, what use was that? I would have loved to flick through Good Housekeeping in lesson time. I buy G.H.on a regular basis now! It's always a good read.My favourite Vesta meal was Chicken Supreme .. I thought it was so exotic!!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Lovely post. My first cookery book was Good Housekeeping and I still get the mag from time to time. I remember 4711 but never had any. Do you remember Charlie?

x

Lisa said...

I think the GH magazine is always a good Christmas buy when most of the maga start to look more tempting!
Lisa x