Sunday 15 August 2010

Whitstable

Ive been missing in action for the last 2 weeks as we have all been on holiday, camping in Normandy, France. Ive been to some divine places and have lots to "show and tell".

On our way down to the ferry (we took the cheapskate option and went Dover to Calais), we scheduled an overnight stop in Dover, but stopped off at Whitstable (or Whitstabubble as I preferred to call it - remembering an old Aero advert!). Whitstable has been on my "places to visit" list since I saw it featured in a Sunday Supplement, and the Nigella Lawson waxed lyrical about it too. (I always feel as if Nigella could be my "posh" friend).

It was very different to what I thought it would be - much hyped I'm afraid, but still with a charm that I really liked. It is famous for its Oysters - something none of our family had ever tried, so "when in Rome" (or Whitstable) and all that, we decided to give them a go. The Dancing Queen likened the experience to body boarding - when you get a mouth full of disgusting sea water! and I must admit, I didn't see the appeal at all. We tried them with lemon and with chilli sauce. Everybody else seem to be downing them with white wine - perhaps next time.

The sea front has some lovely clapboard houses - but all well below sea level. Very worrying! It was positively buzzing, and full to the brim with holidaymakers - as every decent seaside town (worth its seasalt) should be at the end of July. All the (gorgeous and very tempting) shops were busy too.

I loved the pub on the shingle beach. I bet in Autumn when the crowds are gone, that this feels like its in a Dickens novel!

The Fisherman's huts are now turned into holiday accommodation. In parts, this place feels a bit like London-on-Sea. It is easily accessible from the "big smoke" and certainly very "hip and happening" with just the right amount of "vintage" to make it "seasidey" yet "trendy". I could easily stay a week here, but it does feels a bit contrived.

This beach front house looked interesting - in need of much renovation, but with soooooooooooo much potential. How wonder how much it will fetch?

After a stroll along the beach, we turned in land to the shops. These two beauties were outside a very smelly but interesting cheese shop - I knew you would love them!!


Someone obviously has a knitting habit!!!


And I also saw a sign that I loved.


I'm off to catch up with you all - and I'll show you some of the delightful places Ive visited later on.
xxxxxx

19 comments:

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Looks like you had a fab time, thanks for sharing it with us.

Sue said...

Love those bikes and the poster.Bet the beach front house would cost more than you could possibly imagine, would be a great place to stay.

Kathy said...

Hi Diane, nice to have you back!I've never been to Whitstable - thanks for showing us around. I do like seaside places, but we always end up going to mountains somehow!
Thanks for your lovely comment over on my post - you've summed up exactly how I've been feeling about it all so well. I have slowed down, and I'm seeing life in a totally different way .... and I like it a lot!!!!
Love Kathy xxx

topchelseagirl said...

Thanks for showing us around Whitstable. Just love those bikes! x

fayefayesparkle said...

LOVED the bikes!! the pictures look fantastical - must have been a lovely holiday! Cant wait fo rthe next instalment!!

Caroline said...

Oooh, Normandy... would like to know everything about it, as I will be there for a month sometime next year.

Glad to have you back, your posts are always a treat!

Lazylol said...

Glad to have you back Diane. Whitstable looks lovely, it's a place I've never been. Oh, those bikes are fab!

Anonymous said...

Hi Di was beginning to worry... didnt know where you were! Well, guess where I will be this time next week?? Trip looks good!!

Nic

menopausalmusing said...

Great post, you little "gad about"! Brilliant bikes and poster and what a lovely, lovely property that is (the one in need of TLC).

VintageVicki said...

I love the knitted bicycles - wonder if I could do similar with mine ;)

I fancy visiting Whitsabubble but guess its like many of our Suffolk seaside towns - little Chelsea-on-Sea

Marie said...

Sounds like you had a brilliant time, can't wait to hear more about it all. Love those bikes!

BadPenny said...

All looks lovely especially the old house would like to see inside that .

Selfsewn said...

Hi Diane
Isnt France the best?
We have been camping in Brittany and loved it!!
Clare

Rosie said...

Nice to have you back - you were missed! Lucky you to have been in France - 2003 since we were last in Normandy. Looking forward to seeing where you have been. Whitstable looks interesting - I've never been - we always call it Whitstabubble too:)

...Nina Nixon... said...

You should of nagged him just a little bit more - I dunno!!!

Whitstable (I think) is very over rated nice, but not outstanding or even beautiful at that.

Glad you had a lovely time though and next time missus - drop us a line.

Nina xxx

The Ample Cook said...

We've been meaning to visit Whitstable, for what seems like years now.

You have reminded me to organise it :)

Lisa said...

Great place to start your hols in, especially if they advise you to keep a packet of emergency fudge to hand!
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your blog is awesome!Thanks for showing us around Whitstable.Just love those bikes.i have been looking for some information on self-catering stuff.thanks for sharing such incredible information

Unknown said...

Your blog seems awesome!! Very impressed. Nice effort to show whitstable.