Wednesday 1 April 2009

Aroma

Not the best photo in the world, but it wasn't the view I needed to capture this time, it was the smell. After work, we all went swimming. The Swimming pool is right next to "Bassetts" sweety factory. They were obviously making Liquorice Allsorts because the air was heavy with the aroma of Liquorice. I loved it, the hubby loved it, the kids hated it. But what I really love about Bassetts is that its always been here, and its still here - making sweets when every other manufacturing plant seems to have been moved abroad. When I was little, I hated catching the bus back from Sheffield on the "Wicker" because of the smell of all the breweries.
The smell of the hops reminded me of school dinner carrots. Whilst I still think the smell of hops is not nice, I'd love to see the breweries still in production. I really don't like the way that our towns and city's have lost their identities and individuality. The breweries in Sheffield have mostly been replaced by apartments - that all look the same. On the way home from swimming, we passed the big bakery in Hillsborough (I think its owned by Northern foods now, but it is under constant threat of closure). They were obviously baking hot cross buns. Hillsborough, Sheffield - not only home to "The Owls", but it smells like heaven!!

6 comments:

Rowan said...

I've never seen the Bassetts factory but would definitely love the smell of liquorice:) I was sad when Wards Brewery closed down, I love the scent of hops but don't get the chance to smell it very often these days, I used to enjoy driving past there on my way home.

jane and the happy crow said...

Yum! how lovely to have a sweet factory near you, on the way to my mums I pass a Cadbury factory and always open the window to get a waft of chocolate smell. I remeber visiting a friend in Hereford early one Sunday morning when the cider factory was baking its apple and the whole town smelt like apple pie, lovely! Jane xxx

Lisa said...

Mmm liquorice, delish!
Lisa

JuliaB said...

mmm. that sounds much nicer than the smell of the Kraft factory in Banbury which makes processed 'food' like cheese straws and instant coffee and smells vile! x

Rosie said...

I very occasionally buy liquorice allsorts as a treat - nice to know they are still made in Sheffield - not too keen on the smell of hops but remember it well from childhood and noticed it last in Burton-on-Trent when we visited.

driftwood said...

we have a chocolate factory which smells amazing, but we've recently lost the sugar beet factory which had it's own distintive smell, not that pleasant but always reminded you of home whenever you'd been away.